Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yay! finally got rid of MEASUREGEOM and set it to _dist

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
albionpjl
1159 Views, 8 Replies

Yay! finally got rid of MEASUREGEOM and set it to _dist

I have been swearing at the new measuring tool for months. Stupid thing acting like I typed multiple before it and constantly restarting itself when I THOUGHT the command finished. The error message 'invalid option keyword' was REALLY annoying. because generally when digitising I can't look at the screen at the same time as tracing from the tablet so I generally don't discover that the PL command isn't running until a minute or two of lost work later.

I have at last managed to get the CUI to load and been able to alter the command to _dist which is far more useful and just runs once and then lets me get on with something else.

I wish they would stop fiddling with basic tools like this. It's bad enough having to set up toolbars because everything I want to use regularly is now considered legacy, and because the ribbon crashes my computer.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: albionpjl

DIST command is not a "legacy" command going anywhere: and MEASUREGEOM is a lot more than a distance command.

Apples and Oranges comparison: the "solution" is as you posted which is to remove from the CUI what you don't want and add what you do want. That's what is great about AutoCAD, you the user get that flexibility to add and remove what you desire.

Glad you took the time to take control.

Message 3 of 9
albionpjl
in reply to: pendean

Well I couldn't find a _dist button ANYWHERE, and the button on my toolbar, that had previously been _dist had been re-assigned to ~measuregeom when I installed 2013.
The problem is that the CUI crashes my PC more often than not, AND after all these years of being stuck with it I still end up clicking on things at random trying to get the workspace how I want it,  so I really hate to have to run it to alter something that was working fine until Autodesk changed it.
I had _dist set up on my toolbar in the last few versions and AUtodesk altered it to _measuregeom which I most definitely did not want.

The CUI is not user friendly, is not easy to use at all, and makes no sense whatsoever, and, as I said, generally crashes my computer. I wish we had the old customising panel back. That was easy to use even from the first moment I used it and never once crashed me out of CAD.

I actually ended up altering the macro on the _measuregeom tool because I could not find the old distance command anywhere in the list.

Message 4 of 9
troma

@albionpjl wrote:

The CUI is not user friendly, is not easy to use at all, and makes no sense whatsoever, .... I wish we had the old customising panel back. That was easy to use even from the first moment I used it and never once crashed me out of CAD.

Amen to that!

Although I have to tell you that instead of looking for buttons or giving myself a headache with the CUI, I probably wouldn't notice if they messed with the DIST command.  I always type DI on the keyboard anyway.  AutoDesk can't take my keyboard away or come and change the layout and the symbol on all the buttons on it.  It's always the same 

Smiley Happy

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 9
pendean

Not every command is in CUI.

Not every command was in the old MNU file.

AutoCAD does not include every command and variable in screen menus. Never has.

While that is a shame, and still wish it would change, it's a known fact.

CUI is not intuitive, but it's much more user friendly that the old DOS/Text based MNU/MNS files. You just need to understand the structure and basics. There are dozens of Youtube videos on the topic, and some excellent online tutorials from fellow end users you can glance at to understand it:

http://cad-notes.com/2012/02/exploring-autocad-cui-introduction-1/

http://cad-notes.com/2012/03/5-autocad-customization-cui-tutorial/

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_4/4-12.htm

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?30400-Any-tutorial-for-new-CUI

http://www.cadalyst.com/cad/autocad/unraveling-autocad039s-cui-part-1-circles-and-lines-autocad-tuto...

Message 6 of 9
albionpjl
in reply to: troma

@ troma

Yes, I still use the keyboard for a lot of things, but if working at the tablet I often can't reach it without stretching.

Legacy commands still in regular use : tablet, limits, a customised puck with every button set to a useful command, and probably others that may be in the ribbon but I can't run the ribbon for more than a few minutes without crashing.

Ditto the CUI

Message 7 of 9
albionpjl
in reply to: pendean

@Dean,

Thanks, and I will look at them but I have lost count how many tutorials and whatnot that I have looked at. It all makes perfect sense for about 5 minutes and then as soon as I need to customise the thing again, I have to dig out the tutorials again to work it out.

THAT's why it is such a bad design; even when you work something out once, you still have to work it out again and again next year and the year after. I never needed a second tutorial with the old mnu system. It was intuitive and easy to understand from day 1.

Message 8 of 9
albionpjl

@ Dean,

Come to think, about your 'known fact', actually it is not a 'known' fact at all except [erhaps by those who are fiddling with the CUI every week and know it inside out. Surely it's not unreasonable to suppose that any ordinary person is going to assume that the built-in thing that gives access to customising the commands will, in fact, include all the possible commands?

I certainly had assumed so.

Not much point in a customisation interface that onle gives access to some things, and you have to know the 13 letter long commands of the others to reprogram it yourself.

I mainly use it to replace the icons, as most of the default ones either don't work or are boring grey on grey.

I must redo the 3d to 2d and 2d to 3d icons; they've turned into questionmarks again.

Message 9 of 9
albionpjl

Don't get me wrong; it's not all negative. There are some improvements of recent years that were wonderful. Top in my list would be J to quickly and easily join 2 polylines together without going through pedit. ZA, ZE, and ZP also brilliant although I wish they worked if I run C3d as autocad.

Those are definitely the most useful changes, oh and being able to import shp  and map files, and export a point list are also very very useful.

edit - having just done a point list and remembering the hoops I used to jump through way back when, I think I will upgrade that to second most useful thing added to C3d in recent years.

Just manually create points at the end of trenches and then export the point list. Job done! No  more _multiple _ID, with snap set to midpoint, and clicking on each point, and then copy the coordinates out of the text box into word and edit it to remove the Autocad commands.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report