Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you drive?

78 REPLIES 78
Message 1 of 79
tidgy
2066 Views, 78 Replies

What do you drive?

I'm sure there's a few petrolheads among us.

So what do folks drive?

my current toy, runnign just shy of 400bhp 😄

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Tidgy05/media/06%20wrx/WP_000424_zpsd830531b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1...

78 REPLIES 78
Message 61 of 79
JohnKPDCKA
in reply to: ampster401

2005 Dodge RAM 3500, 5.9L Cummin Diesel, 6-speed manual.  It is a LITTLE overkill for getting to and from a desk job, but sure does the job pulling a 10,000# trailer!

2005 Dodge 3500.jpg

Message 62 of 79
Murph_Map

I like it. Gotta get me another one. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 63 of 79
ampster401
in reply to: Murph_Map

Tks.  Waiting for them to release the 2015 line up to see what models come with the liquid cooled heads as I'm looking to trade this one mainly for touring purposes.  I don't need a Limited (only option for the 2014 models) or a CVO.  Just provide an Ultra with what ever standard motor and lower fairings with radiators.

I've done just about all of the "cheap" solutions to keep the oil temps down on this one, but it hits 300 degrees pretty easy at times.

Message 64 of 79
Murph_Map

I don't know how HD's liquid cool are but I seen a few Goldwings sitting alond side the road in heavy traffic on hot days waiting for them to cool down. Saw a buddy one day sitting and stopped to see if he was OK, he said it was too hot and he had to let it cool down. Of course the HD's will over heat too in parades with the stop and go. "IF" I get another it may have to be a trike with my bad lnees.

Murph
Message 65 of 79
ampster401

I would have never thought a GW would have to cool down! 

The 2009 HD models were the first to come with catalytic converters.  Basically a nice plug in the exhaust to capture heat and ensure a clean burn off.  I didn't do it right away, maybe a couple yrs after I bought her, but I eventually bought a modified stock header pipe that had the cat gutted out. 

I found out after the 2014 models were released, the 2009 thru 2013 models basically came with 1/2 of the intended cooling design for the 2014 models.  The cat, o2 sensors, etc, were meant to be used with the liquid cooling system.  So if you are going to buy used, I'd recommend avoiding those yrs.

The 1st yr I added an stock oil cooler and if i had known how well it would work (so so) I would have bought aftermarket for better cooling.

Also replaced the stock air temp gauge with a oil temp gauge. 

When the oil temps get near 300 degrees, I judge the traffic and road conditions ahead and determine if I should keep moving or pull over and rest for 20 mins.

Couple yrs ago, my daughter and I took a trip to the west coast from MN.  The pic above is when we stopped at the entrance to the Badlands, SD.  Fully packed bike, two riders and pulling a trailer estimated gross was roughly 175 to 200 lbs.

Coming back on I-80, heading east towards Donner pass, we were able to do 13 miles between stops to let her cool down!  It was a long climb to the top and the outside temps were in the middle 90's.

We found however when the bike needed a rest - the riders could use one too.

We just got back from the Black Hills.  Went a week before the Sturgis rally as some of us wanted to avoid the crowds and such.  I had some problems the day we went thru Needles hwy - mostly due to the 90+ outside temps and because of the slow pace going thru Needles (5 to maybe 30 if your lucky mph) I couldn't get enough air over the engine so we stopped twice to cool down.

I am anxiously waiting to see the 2015 lineup due to the issues above.

Message 66 of 79
mwadkins12

For me, my everyday driver is a 2010 GMC Sierra  SLE Z-71. I also have an 87 Camaro IROC-Z28 that's pushing close to 600hp and a 73 Mustang Mach 1. 

Message 67 of 79
Logos_Atum
in reply to: tidgy

Skoda Citigo- around 50 mpg 🙂

Yet a Porsche could not hurt ....

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 68 of 79
whitney_jeff
in reply to: Logos_Atum

Daily driver is a 2008 Prius.  Have traveled from the Bay Area in CA up to Couer d'Alene Idaho, and as far SW as Albaquerque NM.  Not the most comfortable rides, but at about 40MPG I like it.

My other is a '99 Tahoe - I build and fly WWI RC models and most of them will fit in the Tahoe with the rear seats down. Due to all the rigging I try not to take them apart.  Have been able to get two large ones (6' wingspan) and several small ones in there no problem.

Message 69 of 79
riff62

Going car shopping this weekend...Should be interesting...

Should I just go ahead and buy the HellCat Challenger now, or wait for the Grand Cherokee version next year?...

In the interest of my lust for driving interesting and totally impractical vehicles, I might just pick up another SRT10 Ram for now...lol

Message 70 of 79
ampster401

upgraded last year to a 2014 FLHTK. Went to the new year rollout for the 2015 models but no colors were available I was interested in. So instead picked up the "Charcoal Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl" model with only 9 miles on her. Many bucks later and by the time this pic was taken, 7500 miles later, on the West Coast, here she is; https://goo.gl/photos/ct9T6MyUv1QEDhNp6 sorry all, I'm unable to post pics to the forums now due to I refuse to unblock addthis.com. Sweet ride, added 10" handlebars - which basically orientate my arms horizontal from the shoulder while riding. This was the 1st time I had a full stage 1 upgrade done to a bike. I can attest to the fact that doing 80mph all day long on the interstate - requires a set of ear plugs...if you want to hear at the end of the day! The loss of hearing on the 2nd day of riding to the coast, ~750 miles, I couldn't really hear much come evening time. LOL...probably combination effect of 80mph (posted speed limit in a number of states now), winds you experience at that speed, and the 300watt amp installed in the fairing. Ear plugs took care of that.
Message 71 of 79
ampster401

that's my chaser car behind my bike. Two of my daughters rode in the car behind me (thus no bags on the bike). The trip wasn't planned to include a cage (car) going with, however my best friend past away in May - so plans changed.
Message 72 of 79
Murph_Map

Sweet ride, looks like the one that followed me home tonight. 🙂

Murph
Message 73 of 79
tidgy

So the M3 i had, yeah that didnt last long. Compared to how fun the scoob was it was just boring and dull. Very ncie car, but just not the fun factor, so got this now

1998 Version 5 WRX STI Type R to give it its full name and model hahaha

only had a slight hicup tha tthe engines gone, so currently in being rebuilt.

Message 74 of 79
ampster401

Nice car! Was the engine bad before what appears to be a dyno test?
Message 75 of 79
ampster401

might have been if you're in the Twin Cities area. Then again, I've noticed a few bikes with this color, not as many as black ones though.
Message 76 of 79
tidgy

was been remapped at that point, was down on power and issues were found when it was looked into further. Engine was showing its age is the short version, when engine was stripped they found the bearings were worn, valves worn etc etc
Message 77 of 79
TheCADWhisperer

When you get to be a certain age....

Top Daug Caddy.png

Message 78 of 79

Nice!!!

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 79 of 79
wispoxy

What I try to drive:

- Innovation
- Customer Care
- Unique Feelings
- Safety

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report