Community
The Community Room
The Community Room is a space to have conversations about anything you’d like to discuss with your fellow Engineers, Architects, Designers and basically all community members in here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell Us a Little About Yourself

86 REPLIES 86
Message 1 of 87
TBasich
3495 Views, 86 Replies

Tell Us a Little About Yourself

It’s easy to get into the habit of frequenting a local establishment without ever finding out who’s making your morning mocha. We don’t want that to be the way of things around these forums and hope you’ll take a minute to say hello and tell us a little about you. Need some help getting started? Here are a few questions for you:

• What's your name?
  • Where do you hail from?
  • What is your profession and/or title?
  • What Autodesk product do you enjoy using most?
  • Where is your favorite spot to vacation?
  • What are you most proud of?

Ready? Set…SHARE!

Teresa Basich
Community Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
86 REPLIES 86
Message 61 of 87

I replied yesterday but dont see it here.. It is interesting stuff to be sure...I have learned alot in the past 3 yrs since I came here..When I interviewed one of the questions I asked was: "...Uh, you do realize I know nothing about Particle Physics, right?" Its certainly been an eye opening experience...When I tell people what I do, there are usually 2 response I hear the most...the first is ".....(blank stare.....Uh, what?"...the second is, ...."oh...thats cool....is that like what Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory does?"...lol...my favorite is " Wow...you must be pretty smart..."... I always say that I am probably the dumbest guy in the room here...you cant turn around without bumping into a PhD or Engineer or Grad student.... We do alot of R and D for future accelerator designs, and alot of work with super bright Xrays for the most part...I support 2 labs doing various design work..One day it might be converting some hand drawn sketches to 3D models for a piece of equipment we are upgrading, the next it might be coming up with a new support structure for a prototype magnet, or how to fit something into a very tight space...Never dull, Always busy....
Message 62 of 87

LOL, yeah, sounds like typical reactions.

I remember when I started working as a CADD Operator for a hospital, you can imagine the comments I received.
"I had one of those once... oh, wait, that might have been an MRI." ~facepalm~

I did get to learn about a lot of cool new medical tech while I was there, so that was nice (though the majority of it was support of mep systems older than my grandparents).

Your work definitely sounds interesting. 🙂

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 63 of 87

Thats our acronym driven society Melanie..lol Ah, the dreaded MRI...I have had like 25 or so since 2007 I think...Get one every year to monitor brain tumor growth..I had most of one removed in 2008, but part of it is still there growing slowly..Its benign, and turned out to be more of a pain in the **** than anything else...11.5 hrs of surgery, 10 days in the hospital, 3 more operations, half a millions bucks, countless doctors, nurses, and medical students asking me if I knew what date it was, loss of hearing in my left ear, a severed facial nerve, 8 months recovery, and all I got was this 18" long scar...lol...its all good though.."Chicks dig scars"...haha
Message 64 of 87
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: riff62

What's your name?

Hugh

• Where do you hail from?

Somerset

• What is your profession and/or title?

Design Engineer - Water Features

• What Autodesk product do you enjoy using most?

3DS max - good days fly by as if playing a computer game.   I use ACA but would like to learn Revit (had two attempts already but work deadlines keep making me shelf it) 

• Where is your favorite spot to vacation?

Cornwall with mates - love to have a swig of cider around the camp fire in the evening

• What are you most proud of?

Aside from my family, losing about 4 stone in weight by taking up trail running.  Getting a runners high whilst running through local woods on the weekends brings a smile to my face. 

Message 65 of 87

LOL wow, yeah, THAT sounds like a load of fun.
I've had more than my fair share of CT/MRIs as well. Also, one open-chest surgery 'just in case' a gland had a defect or tumor on it. Ah, and all of the bright-eyed medical students (and some older doctors) traisping by every day to gawk and poke. 😜 Good times, good times.
My resulting scar is probably only about 10" long and 1/2" wide. I try not to be too self-conscious about it, cause I've never heard a saying that declares "guys love scars". 😛

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 66 of 87

Mmmmm cider.

Melanie Stone
Message 67 of 87

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:
... I try not to be too self-conscious about it, cause I've never heard a saying that declares "guys love scars". 😛

I believe it was Marilyn Monroe who said that women are known by their scars.  She had had an appendectomy not long before her death.

As for your scar, may I direct your attention to the character Jemma from "Sons of Anarchy."  Wear that sucker as a badge!

Message 68 of 87

Right on.
~googling~ Ah! yeah, my scar would've looked like that... but, as I was only 14 when I got it, the doc was nice and turned it sideways.
You can still see the center of it when I wear a low-cut top or a bathing suit, so, for many years I never did. It wasn't until after Mike and I got married that I finally got comfortable enough with myself to go, you know what, I'll wear what I want to wear and darn the scar!

Melanie Stone
Message 69 of 87

Mine starts above and in front of me ear, runs along the Y axis to behind
the ear, turns in the neg Z direction , and runs down along the back of my
ear, and down my neck almost to my Adams apple..it looks like a crudely
drawn 7...lol...when they did the surgery they injected belly fat into the
area where they removed the bones of my inner ear.. so I got a
twofer...Liposuction and I am officially a fathead....lol...
Message 70 of 87

I try not to be too self-conscious about it, cause I've never heard a saying that declares "guys love scars". 😛

Guys don't "Love scars." But as you know they do love girls with scars. Just not because of the scars.

My Sister has had her chest cracked 5 times for open heart surgery. She's been happily married for 44 years. My friend has a scar that arcs across the top of his abdomen from the removal of a large tumor. He passes it off as a Shark bite!

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 71 of 87

~whistles~ That sounds like a nice scar...
HA! Bonus on the lipo. 😜

Melanie Stone
Message 72 of 87

WOOF, five times!?!?! That's a painful surgery... even coughing and laughing is excruciating for months afterward.
lol, I like that shark bite story.

My grandpa had radiation burns from breast cancer. I can rarely remember him wearing a shirt. Whenever I asked him about it, he had a different story. Sometimes it was a jellyfish, sometimes it was a really hot bowl of soup, other times it was alien probing. lol. 🙂 He always had silly stories for us.

I have two puckered, round scars from the drainage from that open-chest surgery, and I always joke that they're extra belly buttons. 😄

Melanie Stone
Message 73 of 87

Yeah...I used to tell people.I was harry potter's less fortunate
brother..lol
Message 74 of 87

WOOF, five times!?!?! That's a painful surgery... even coughing and laughing is excruciating for months afterward.

Yeah. But she actually says it gets better each time. The last one was supposed to be done roboticaly through a small incision. But when the surgeon got eyes on. He decided that the damage was too extensive and opened her chest. She got 2 valves and some reconstruction that time.

After the third one she was complaining about the length of the recovery. I said. "Look. It's like someone hit you in the chest with an ax or you were in a car accident". She seemed to take that well. At least that was something she could wrap her head around.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 75 of 87

Oooh, I like that one, too... lol.

Melanie Stone
Message 76 of 87
millerew17
in reply to: TBasich

1. Elmer Miller

2. Born n raised in Central PA....Moved to Western MT for 27 yrs........Headed farther west to WA for 6 yrs.......Now in Tucson for ??(It's a grandkid thing, when she hits puberty, I'm gone!)

3. Ex-Design/Builder (By Vellum & "GenCadd"), Estimator, Master Carpenter....Always a passion for Architecture and things done right.

4. AutoCAD LT for now, Revit LT later....

5. Anywhere there is water! Flyfishing Only.....

6. At the moment, my son Nik, a Paralympic kayak racer. Check out Nik Miller from VA Beach. 

Message 77 of 87

Hi

• Anton
  • I was born in east of Russia. Now I live in St-Petersburg
  • road engineer
  • AutoCAD Civil 3D, I want to study InfraWorks
  • Indo-China, Europe. I want to look the USA
  • Is it a job interview?))

Please correct my English.

https://t.me/intC3D - Russian chat about Civil 3D
https://t.me/Civil3dEnt -International chat about Civil 3D (in English)
Message 78 of 87
kiraimmorris
in reply to: TBasich

Hi, my name is Brandon Morris

My Forge buddies call me kirai

I'm from Kentucky

Recently moved around, lived in Missouri for a while, bounced between Alabama and Montana.

I'm a Detailer and Martial Artist

I like Revit alot, but use mechanical

I've always loved Panama, Florida. Tampa is a nice substitute, though.

And I'm not a person of pride, I'm a person of honor.

Message 79 of 87

What part of Missouri did you live in?

Melanie Stone
Message 80 of 87

Ft. Leonard Wood

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report