Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
1325 Views, 22 Replies

Wave loading

Hi.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to implement wave loading on a structure in Robot?  I'm guessing through API?

I'm thinking I'll need an API that defines a time history case to apply loads to multiple members simultaneously.

Any help welcome!

Tony

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

Tony,

You can try to use body force load types available in Robot or the devoted part of Robot Extension Spreadsheet Calculator (mind that W7 64bit is not supported by the RESC wave load generator).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks Artur,

Problem is, all of our PC's at work just got upgraded to Win 7 64 bit Smiley Sad

So..........is there a work around?

Tony

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

AHHH DO YOU MEAN EXCEL IS 32 BIT, OR WINDOWS?

Message 5 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

I'm sorry I meant W7 64bit and MS Office 2010 both 32 and 64 bit (no workaround available).

The generator should work on W7 64bit and MS Office 2007.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

OK.

It seems to be fine on Win 7 64 bit with office 2010 32 bit.  

The only problem is the graphics screen flickers alot and is not really readable.  Some of the input dialogue boxes remain "locked" in the graphic viewer too.  But otherwise it works OK.

Thanks

Message 7 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

If you are able to import a model from Robot then you are the only person I know who is so lucky. Perhaps this is due to the fact that your part of the world is 'upside down' Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

hahaha

It imports, but the screen flickers like crazy and makes you go mad Smiley Mad

But it seems to export out the loads back into Robot

Only works at home though, not at work....................

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Spoiler

Tony, did you ever get wave loading to work properly?

I have previouslt tried AND failed to get any decent results from this!

Im considering writing an API!

cheers

andy

Message 10 of 23
Anonymous

Mate to be honest I gave up trying to make it work as the whole thing got a bit hard.  I don't do wave loading in my work anyway but was investigating it for some colleagues.  

My thoughts / suggestions;

1. If you work with wave loading all day every day, then it would be worth the time to do the API.  But then if you DO work in  this field then you probably already have SAP or similar which can do wave loading reasonably well.  In this case the Robot API may be a bit redundant.  
  2. If you only do this as a one off than it's probably better to go find a SAP (for example) user rather than spend days writing code for an API in Robot.
  3. Hack the ESOP spreadsheet to make it work properly.
  4. If you do end up writing an API, please post it here!! Smiley Happy

Sorry I couldn't be more help.  

Tony

Message 11 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

Try to replace the original dll with the attached one (C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis Professional 2013\RESC\Engineering\lib\00\ROBOT). This should allow you to import a model from Robot and generate wave loads back in Robot but will not solve the model display issue in SC.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 23

Tony and Andy,

Am I right in assuming that the file I attached allowed for importing models from Robot the the wave loader sheet?

Thank you for confirmation Smiley Happy

Artur Kosakowski
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous

Smiley Embarassed

I will try tomorrow.........

Thanks

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

Artur,

I replaced the dll as instructed. 

The model imports beautifully from Robot and all the wave load parameters are able to be editied. 

It seems to be working well. 

Problems;

1.  The graphical display is still greyed out, until you double click on it and move around it.  Then it flickers a lot.
  2.  The FIRST time you click "generate", an error appears "Wave.EXE has stopped working", but the loads are still imported into Robot.
  3.  Go into Robot, dete loads and load cases.  Then press "generate" in ESOP for a second time. This time the loads come through with no error.  

So yes it works well.Smiley Happy

Still not 100% bug free though. 

Thanks a lot

Tony

Message 15 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you Tony. As I wrote the file I posted is not intended for solving the display issue. I'm pleased to hear that it works for data exchange.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

sorry ive not had a chance to check as im out of the office till end of sept but thank you very much for.your help im keen to give it a go when i get back and i will let you know how i get on.

thanks again

andy
Message 17 of 23
Romanich

Artur,

Can you publish help to this spreadsheet if it exist? Thank you.

Do you find the posts helpful? "LIKE" these posts!
Have your question been answered successfully? Click 'ACCEPT SOLUTION' button.

Roman Zhelezniak

Robot Evangelist & Passionate Civil Structural Engineer

LinkedIn | Robot & Хобот | App Store for Robot
EESignature

Message 18 of 23
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Romanich

If you have RESC installed then check C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis Professional 2013\RESC\Engineering\help\44\ROBOT\44ROBOT_COM_014\44ROBOT_COM_014.htm

Otherwise see the attached pdf.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous

I need to calculate Wave load on a structure. I read this post but couldn't find the spreadsheet. My Robot version is 2015.

Message 20 of 23
Rafal.Gaweda

waveloader.jpg

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report