Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Torsional buckling and flexural-torsional buckling

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
rythin
691 Views, 4 Replies

Torsional buckling and flexural-torsional buckling

Hi.

It is possible to calculate a close to exact critical force for flexural buckling using the buckling analysis. Is it similarly possible to calculate critical forces for buckling modes listed in the subject? All I've seen so far are calculations using procedures described in different codes that are simplified at best.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: rythin

For bar model it is not possible. You need to model a steel profile as panels in a shell model type instead.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 5
rythin
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks for the quick response, Artur!

I have managed to create a steel I-beam profile consisting of three separate panels joined together at the medium nodes. It is a simply supported beam loaded with a linear load acting on a top flange along the axis of a web.

Am I correct in assuming a critical load factor (output of a buckling analysis) now represents a loss of the stability in the compressed flange, and is therefore lateral-torsional buckling?

r.
Message 4 of 5
Artur.Kosakowski

You need to determine the kind of buckling by the shape of the buckling mode.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 5
rythin

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report