Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoherent Mesh on Edges

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Samuel.Mathew
1020 Views, 13 Replies

Incoherent Mesh on Edges

Hi All,

Pretext: Was struggling with Meshing on Autodesk Robot. Had to resort to using a variety of meshing options to complete a floorplate.

Finally got the meshing across all 3 floors of my building, but now am getting some errors with Incoherent Meshes on Edges, which won't allow me to run the analysis.  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Regards,

Sam

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Could you attach the model to look at?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 14

Hi Artur,

Would I be able to PM you the model?

Thanks,

Sam
Message 4 of 14
stroxy
in reply to: Samuel.Mathew

Have you made sure your model is geometrically correct i.e. all panels and bars properly aligned and snapping to each other. Usually Edit menu - Detailed Correct solves the problem - I usually delete the mesh before applying the model correction tools and the re-meshing!
Message 5 of 14
tony.ridley
in reply to: stroxy

also turn off kinematic links in the settings / options dialogue helps. Be aware you need to be extra careful that the geometry is EXACTLY correct, even down to many decimal places.
Message 6 of 14
Samuel.Mathew
in reply to: stroxy

Thanks for the advice - have managed to clear the errors in terms of incoherent meshes - although it was a very manual task, but now i'm having lots of Type 1 and Type 2 Instabilities when running the calc. Any ideas? 

Thanks

Sam

Message 7 of 14
jonpople

I am also receiving the same message and have tried many of the options that you have stated in other message links. Would you be able to have a look at the file and tell me where the problem lies and why it is occurring?

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
jonpople
in reply to: jonpople

Message 9 of 14
tony.ridley

without the file impossible to say. check all of the degrees of freedom of bars and supports is a good start though
Message 10 of 14
jonpople
in reply to: tony.ridley

The file has been uploaded above.

Thanks for your help

Message 11 of 14
tony.ridley

I don't understand.  I deleted out the isolated nodes, re-meshed and it ran very well, no instability.  There was one panel down on the bottom floor that was isolated and had no support, this may have been causing the problems

Message 12 of 14
jonpople
in reply to: tony.ridley

Do you know which panel it was that may have been causing the problems?

Message 13 of 14

Thanks for the advice - have managed to clear the errors in terms of incoherent meshes - although it was a very manual task, but now i'm having lots of Type 1 and Type 2 Instabilities when running the calc. Any ideas? 

That will be difficult to determine without the file. Do you have the separate structure warning displayed? Check if you defined supports (you may change all them to fixed and test if that solves that issue). The same with releases - delete them and check. 

Artur Kosakowski
Message 14 of 14

before the model is meshed, I saw a there is a panel (on the very bottom floor) by itself with no supports. i just deleted it. then the model runs OK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report