Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import of Excel/text data files

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
2337 Views, 1 Reply

Import of Excel/text data files

Hello everybody. I have the following question: what is the exact procedure to import data from an Excel or text file?

This concerns load combinations, coordinates of points, load values etc. I tried at first exporting load combinations from Robot to Excel,
then deleting the combinations in Robot and re-importing the combinations I had previously exported, turning the .csv Excel file into a Robot .str file and using the Geometry/Structure/Text_file command to import it, since I imagined the export file format was the same as the import, but I got an error message saying that the Robot command in the text file does not exist.

Can anybody explain the detailed procedure to import data form external files (this includes file format, tabs, etc)? This is important to me since a common issue is the import of an Excel sheet of actions on structures from another structural calculation software, and doing that in the ordinary way (point and click) takes a huge amount of time, so an automated or semi-automated procedure is essential. I already took a look around the forum and the Robot user guide and couldn't find any help. If I missed something, please inform me.

Thank you in advance for any help. Kind regards.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Anonymous

This concerns load combinations, coordinates of points, load values etc. I tried at first exporting load combinations from Robot to Excel,

then deleting the combinations in Robot and re-importing the combinations

Try this:http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/Editing-load-cases-in-excel-API/m-p/3929901#...

Other examples : http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Robot-Structural-Analysis/useful-addins-for-Robot-API/td-p/3899448

I had previously exported, turning the .csv Excel file into a Robot .str file and using the Geometry/Structure/Text_file command to import it, since I imagined the export file format was the same as the import, but I got an error message saying that the Robot command in the text file does not exist.

csv is completely different file format than str.

Str file description :

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Structural\Help\2014\R97mod39.doc" 

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Structural\Help\2014\R97mod01.doc" 

Can anybody explain the detailed procedure to import data form external files (this includes file format, tabs, etc)? 

File / Open and select file type to see possibilities

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report