Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bar spacing problem

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
abduallahadi
470 Views, 11 Replies

Bar spacing problem

Hi
I was designing a simple beam with relative high load but  the bars layers is stick to each ever , it should be at less 2.5 cm !
Knowing that i adjusted the preferred bar spacing Emin and Emax to 2.5 cm
please help me to solve this
a picture is attached
bar spacing.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

export to autocad and adjust the layers there.

Message 3 of 12

No , it seems to be an error in the programSmiley Indifferent

Message 4 of 12

any way you will send the drawing to AutoCAD to add spacer then readjust the reinforcement there.
reinf.png

Message 5 of 12

share your file and I'll test the problem occurs with me or not.
Message 6 of 12
abduallahadi
in reply to: abduallahadi

Thank you my good friend
I know that I can adjust that in the autocad but the program must give me the right space between bars layers
I attached the file

Message 7 of 12

Try to switch the indicated option off

grouping layers.PNG

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 12
abduallahadi

It didn't work either
I think that is an error in the program , and the developer should take into consideration 
here is the file 

Message 9 of 12
Ken_Marsh

Hi Artur,

I checked this in 2014 and unchecking the Group Layers option appears to not work in 2014 either.  I have a test file I can send if it helps.

Looking forward to your diagnosis as this has been a quandry of mine.

Thanks,

-Ken

Ken Marsh
Owner Marsh API
Message 10 of 12
Ken_Marsh
in reply to: Ken_Marsh

As a temporary work-around, you can (I believe) adjust the Z spacing for the bar group as shown here.

It's a manual process but Robot will recalculate the capacity of the member with the adjusted spacing you provide.

from the General tab you can click the row of this rebar group and then switch to the spacing tab to adjust this value for

all of these bars in the member.  Note that this will turn on the "Freeze Reinforcing" option (because you manually edited it)

so be careful if you need to recalculate the beam, you will need to uncheck "Freeze Reinforcing" again.

Obviously the best scenario is that Robot will accurately place these bars so that the calculations are correct (often if you move this layer up

the capacity will no longer be adequate!)

2-10-2014 6-34-11 PM.png

Ken Marsh
Owner Marsh API
Message 11 of 12

We will investigate this situation. As ACI is not the code I'm vary familiar with - are we looking for 1 inch clear distance between the bottom and top layers of bottom rebars?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 12 of 12

Hi Artur,

Yes, you are correct.  ACI 318-08 (at least) says:

Where parallel reinforcement is placed in two

or more layers, bars in the upper layers shall be placed

directly above bars in the bottom layer with clear

distance between layers not less than 1 in.

Though there are some provisions for "bundled bars" where up to 4 bars may be used in contact if enclosed in stirrups or ties.  I assume that is the functionality of "group layers".

Thanks for looking into this,

-Ken

Ken Marsh
Owner Marsh API

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report