Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to connect beams to columns

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Mehdi.Kardehi
3056 Views, 7 Replies

how to connect beams to columns

Hi All,

I am a Revit MEP user and very new to Revit structure... I guess my question sounds silly to you guys but any help is greatly appreciated

I am trying to draw a support frame for my HVAC duct. HSS square hollow sections are used for both columns and beams.

I would like to connect the cornets in a mitered fasion but when I click on modify> Beam/Column Joins no arrows apear in my drawing so I can click on it and get them connected.

what am I doing wrong?

Screenshot is attahced

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
gguevarra
in reply to: Mehdi.Kardehi

If I'm not mistaken, that tool does not provide miters for a beam to column connection... I think it will only provide a miter from beam to beam. I could be wrong. Please let mek know if I'm incorrect. Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: gguevarra

well taht doesn's asnwer my question 😉

Message 4 of 8

hi,

Can you please send me your revit file.

Thanks,

Subhradeep sen

India

Kolkata

Message 5 of 8
gguevarra

Sorry about that. You can use a Reference Plane at a 45° degree angle to use the Cut Geometry tool on the column and the beam. That should give it a nice mitered look. I attached a view of one in an elevation of the beam to column intersection

Message 6 of 8
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: gguevarra

Looks good and worked for me but waste a lot of time to do for every single joint... is there an easier way?

Message 7 of 8

gguevarra's method is really the only way. as you said its rather a waste of time for each joint, what we do is make it a typical detail as opposed to modeling things like that at all.
Message 8 of 8
gguevarra

It will obviously depend on what the agreed upon level of detail is required on the project. If your Client is asking for that high level amount of detail in the actual model, I would hope you are being properly compensated to do so. My hope would be that a typical steel framing elevation and typical detail would be sufficient to cover that connection.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report