Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visibility ISsues with Angles in Plan View

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
reception
1515 Views, 2 Replies

Visibility ISsues with Angles in Plan View

Hi All, 

I was wondering is anyone could help me figure out how to get angles to not show up in plan view.  As a structural engineering firm, we don't make it a practice to show roof deck angles in plan view, only in section views.  I have a basic understanding of how families work, so I attempted the following:

-Open up the angle family

-Select the angle

-Click on Visibility Settings under Modify|Angle tab

- Uncheck the Plan/RCP, When cut in Plan/RCP (if category permits), and Coarse boxes [I unchecked the Coarse box because our roof plan is shown in Coarse detail level]

Then I loaded it in the project (and overwrote the existing parameters).  And it still shows up.

So then I went back into the family.  Created a new subcategory under Object Styles called "Angle".  Then loaded the family back into the project (again, overwriting the parameters).  Went to my roof plan view, went to the V/G settings, unchecked the Angle box, and the angles STILL show up in plan view. 

The only thing that seems to work is if I change the Structural Usage  of the angle to an uncommon setting (such as Horizontal Bracing) and turn off that subcategory in the V/G settings.  Which is a workaround, I guess, but I like doing things properly, so lablelling someting as Horizontal Bracing when it's not horizontal bracing just to have the capability to turn it off really irks me.  And I know there is a subcategory called "Other", but we have other visiblity settings set up for structural items with that structural usage. 

Am I missing a step? Why are these angles so stubborn?  Can I add a subcategory for the Structural Usage of a modelled element?

I look forward to hearing some suggestions! Thanks!

Stacy

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Joe.Charpentier
in reply to: reception

The coarse (stick) view of structural framing is generated in-project by Revit.

The Visibility Settings controls you mention affect not the entire family, but the selected geometry. The geometry is not displayed in a coarse view anyway, so what you’ve done has no effect.

However, you can change the coarse view display of the framing so that it is not driven by the project but by the family.

Edit the family, and change the value of the “Symbolic Representation” from “From Project Settings” to “From Family”.

Because there is no model line with the subcategory “Stick Symbols”, nothing will appear in coarse views.

Joe

Message 3 of 3
reception
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

If I had a million guesses, I would never have guessed that...  But it worked!

Thanks so much! Much appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report