Revit Structure

Message 1 of 6 (1,119 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scheduling Nested Families

1119 Views, 5 Replies
11-20-2012 09:07 AM

Does anyone know of way to schedule the nested families of a family?  For example I have a panel family that contains connection families for that panel.  The schedule I am looking for would break out the connection families for each panel family.  So panel family WP1 contains the connection familes C1 and C2.  Panel family WP2 contains C1 and C3 and so forth.  Is there anyway to manipulate a schedule to give me this information perhaps with shared parameters?  All families are set to shared and I can get a total connection count for the entire project but need it broken out per panel. 

Valued Mentor
AJA14
Message 2 of 6 (1,088 Views)

Re: Scheduling Nested Families

11-27-2012 11:21 PM in reply to: cchrisrun

Hi. if you want to be able to schedule the nested family you must declare it as shared.

Open the family you wish to nest, open the family category and parameters, go to the parameters, you will find a parameter called shared and a checkbox which is cleared, check that and you will be able to schedule that nested family. Hope this helps.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 3 of 6 (1,083 Views)

11-28-2012 06:28 AM in reply to: cchrisrun

Wrong answer, please try again.  This time read the question before responding.  All the families are set to share their parameters.  I want a schedule that will tell me how many nested families are in each family. 

*Expert Elite*
CADastrophe
Message 4 of 6 (1,079 Views)

11-28-2012 06:55 AM in reply to: cchrisrun

You can add a Shared Parameter (Text, Instance) to each of the nested Families that would function as an ID for the schedule to filter out the other instances of those families. Add a similar parameter to the host family and link each of the nested parameters to this value. Note that the host family's parameter should only be that same Shared Parameter if you want it to appear in the Schedule as well.

Once loaded into the Project, you can select one instance of that Family and enter a text value for that parameter. Then you can create a Schedule and add Filters to exclude all elements that do not contain that specific text value.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6 (1,060 Views)

11-29-2012 10:30 AM in reply to: CADastrophe

Thank you CADastrophe!  That works and gives me the results in the schedule I was looking for.

Distinguished Contributor
bjur
Message 6 of 6 (1,027 Views)

12-06-2012 12:16 PM in reply to: cchrisrun

If you use the assembly feature, you can schedule structural components and families along with the nested families in those components.  For example:  Say you had a steel beam with a double angle shear tab bolted to it.  You could make the steel beam and the double angle (which has a bunch of A325 bolts nested into the sheartab) part of the same assembly.  When you create shop drawings for the assembly, you can also create a schedule that shows all of the parts of that assembly.  If the bolts in the double angle shear connection are "Shared" (the shared box is checked) then the 6 bolts that are part of the double angle connection will be included in that schedule.  I think in Revit there are multiple ways of getting the job done.  You just have to decide which is easier.  The other way will work as well, but it makes you have to do more accounting.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube