Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing Rebar in walls, help needed

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
TJR-Sundt
6593 Views, 8 Replies

Placing Rebar in walls, help needed

Smiley Frustrated

I have been working on a Elevator core for the past few days and I keep running into the same issue.  When I get ready to place vertical, horizontal, ties, cornerbars, or u-bars in the model I have to sketch the shape and then rotate into place.  Obviously this has a lot of negatives, time being the most important negative.  When I try to place the rebar, horizontal, vertical, ties, or u-bars by selecting the wall and then selecting Rebar in the Reinforcement tab I get the No Symbol icon. 

No symbol icon.JPG

I have used the Autodesk knowledge pages and they are of no use with the issue.  I have set my view range to include the cut plane and still no luck.  I have tried all sorts of ranges and with no luck. 

workplane.JPG

The wall and columns that I am trying to place the rebar in are all structural.

Structural walls.JPG

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening and how to fix the problem?  The oddest part is that I have put rebar in walls and columns on other drawings and I have checked the settings on both models and they are identical.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LisaDrago
in reply to: TJR-Sundt

Hello - Rebar is pretty particular on what you can place it in...

žValid reinforcement host consist of: Beams, Columns or foundation who's material parameter is concrete or precast concrete.
žWalls, structural floors and slab edges can also host if they contain a concrete layer have are set to structural usage in the parameters.

Does this help?
LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

When you are in the view, what is your current workplane?

The Cut Plane is not the same as the workplane.  The current workplane can be found by going to the "Set Work Plane" button on the Structure tab, and seeing what the specified work plane is in the resulting dialog.

If, for example, the wall you are trying to reinforce goes from Level 1 to Level 2, and your workplane is Level 1, you will be trying to place outside of the cover of the wall element.

Joe

Message 4 of 9
TJR-Sundt
in reply to: LisaDrago

LD -

The walls that I am working with are structural and the usage is bearing.  Also the materials are concrete.

(see images below) - Sadly this hasn't helped resolve my issue.

Concrete wall perameters.jpg

Concrete type Properties.jpg

Thank you for helping!

Message 5 of 9
TJR-Sundt
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Joe -

My workplace is set to level 1 and the was from Level 1 - level 2 so I changed that and played with a few different top levels and nothting seemed worked.  (see images below).  Oddly have been able to place rebar on the foundation level with the work plane set to foundation and the view range is similar.  The only differnces between the two walls is the height and thickness.  Sadly this hasn't resolved my issue.

View Range.jpg

Work Plane.png

Foundation view range.jpg

Thank you for helping!

Message 6 of 9
awes

I've noticed a similar behaviour. I suggest that you make a new detail section horizontal or/and vertical and place your rebars in these sections.

Anders

Message 7 of 9
Joe.Charpentier

Try creating a named reference plane 1 foot up from the level, and setting it as the workplane when you are in the view.

Changing any of your view range settings will not affect where rebar is being placed- it is (in general) only created at the workplane.  

If the wall starts at level 1, and you workplane is level 1, the faces are coincident- you are not trying to create rebar "inside" the wall.  Changing the workplane will help.  (Extending the wall below the level would also accomplish the same thing, as the wall would now intersect the workplane/placement location.)

The thing to remember is that when working in a plan (unlike a section or detail view) the workplane is not automatically at the cut plane.  For most elements, this is not a problem.  But because rebar is unique in that it always has to “live” completely inside another element, it can cause the problem you are seeing.

Joe

Edit: Anders' suggestion is a good one because a detail view, like a section, has the workplane by default at the cut location.

Message 8 of 9
TJR-Sundt
in reply to: Joe.Charpentier

Joe -

Thank you very much for the help, creating a new reference plan 1' above the level worked great!

Message 9 of 9

hi,i am amirul, i just anything to bring it down to the level,but the column stuck at the second level,and i just keep trying the view range to replace the rebar but it never appear the cut of the view renge. please help me.

column.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report