Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimalist Joist Framing

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ArthurMacLeod5818
1590 Views, 5 Replies

Minimalist Joist Framing

Can't find the wishlist for Revit Structure 2014. i see Autodesk lets the Revit MEP have an entire group for wishlists, so I guess this groupd is the place to make it for Revit Structure 2014. Here goes.

In the old days structural detailers would draw one joist showing its span and then add leaders to the sides to show its range and tag it with joist size and spacing. This was an economical way to show a field of joists. It also had two enormous benfits to the reader. The reader would easily find the joist on the white background and there was plenty of white space to read important notes. Now in the modern age, we get a forest of joists. One has to look more carefully to see the various joist spans and member sizes. there is no room for notes. adding incidental framing members to a floor system adds more clutter.

I have a simple solution to this. Add the ability of the beam system to toggle between the forest and a single stick. The single stick can be specified by information already built into Revit's beam system.The beam system editor allows the beam system to be justified to the direction line one can draw in the beam system editor. Simply add the ability to use this as the location of the single stick adding the beam system tag to it. Should not be all that much programming work. It would certainly help reduce drawing clutter.

Arthur

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

@ArthurMacLeod5818 wrote:

"Can't find the wishlist for Revit Structure 2014. i see Autodesk lets the Revit MEP have an entire group for wishlists..."

Don't feel bad - that forum is thoroughly and routinely ignored by anyone of importance. What is said in that forum seems to be better addressed to a wall. But I'm hoping that they'll eventually adopt that new "Idea Exchange" format for all of Revit.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6

One more point. with a single stick, one only has to adjust the beam joins once instead of hundreds one at a time.

Message 4 of 6
bog
Contributor
in reply to: ArthurMacLeod5818

I agree with the minimalist framing plan. Autodesk needs to draw on the history of drafting standards and implement programing to minimize clutter and improve drawing legibility in regards to 2D output. There may come a time when every site can look at drawings on the computer but buildings are still primarily built using paper copies on site. This disconnect is a huge drawback in the viability of Revit implementaion from my experience.

Message 5 of 6
bjur
in reply to: ArthurMacLeod5818

While it's not a "feature" you can accomplish this really simply in a number of ways.  I attached a sample revit file.  Do you have a specifica example on how you want it to look.  I showed the "out of the box" ways of doing it.  I didn't modify any families to do this.  I added a plywood web joist family and used a beam system to model the floor.  I added a simple plywood floor with a joist cavity and attached the walls below to the bottom of the floor.  This way the floor joists extended over the top of the wall.  You can set the start and end extensions for all of the joists at the same time.  I added 4" so they extended to the end of the wall.  In reality you would cut this back for the rim board.  In the attached revit file, I showed three ways you could show joist framing.  Two involve tagging the beam system.  One involves tagging the floor.  Take a look.  You could modify the beam system famlies to rotate the text to your liking.

Message 6 of 6
ArthurMacLeod5818
in reply to: bjur

Very clever. I will look into this tomorrow after I have had a good night's sleep.

Thanks,

Arthur

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report