Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol/Text in Electrical Family

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
lsop1409
2640 Views, 3 Replies

Symbol/Text in Electrical Family

Hi

I am creating an electrical socket outlet and have created the extrusion using the electrical fixture family. I have then created a generic annotation for my symbol and added this to the ref. level in my family. I have then added a parameter to the symbol to allow me to control the positioning of my symbol when in 2D.

I now need to add text to the family i.e. a number 2 to represent double socket. What is the best way to do this, text, labels or tags.
 I would like my number 2 to remain 'readable' regardless of how the family is rotated/oriented. Is the workaround of inserting 4 instances of an annotation family with associated parameters the only viable solution to this and how would this be acvhieved if my socket was placed on a wall at an angle of say 28degrees for example.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: lsop1409

The number "2" should be an annotation symbol. If it is text, it disappears. About the rotation, the most that Revit can do is keep numbers and letters "readable" which does not mean horizontal. It is possible to force a number or text to be horizontal, but only through manual input of a rotation angle to which the letter or number is tied to (since it requires manual input, it might lead to errors; maybe not worthy. "Readable" is fine, in my opinion).

2-3-2014 1-05-42 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 4
CoreyDaun
in reply to: lsop1409

Having gone through the trouble of creating rotating annotations to wall-mounted devices myself, I would recommend including this information in a Tag. This annotation could quite easily combined with your standard Electrical Device Tag. Having the annotation embedded in your Family destroys its flexibility regarding the location of the annotation - since it's embedded, it cannot be moved in the Project if need be.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 4
lsop1409
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thanks for the info both of you. I will use both methods depending on the family I am creating.

I have decided that for the double sockets I have tagged all by category with a tag that has a type parameter 'e.g. doubleSocket' associated with it, as stated in your reply this will allow me to easily move the text, especially when the socket is rotated about a random angle.

Corey, I looked at an example you posted regarding your 'rotated text' and it looked complicated, I will hopefully move onto more advanced annotation solutions in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report