Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you select equipment for parallel systems?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
RJServoss
1040 Views, 5 Replies

How do you select equipment for parallel systems?

My mechanical system has 2 air handling units connected via a plelnum. I have the duct connector on the unit set to Flow Configuration - System, with a flow factor of 0.5, so that the system flow will then be distributed evenly to both of the air handling units. My problem is that I don't know how to select both pieces of equipment for the system. When I go to the system selector and select equipment, it doesn't seem to allow both of the air handling units to be selected as the equipment serving the system.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
SteveKStafford
in reply to: RJServoss

When you select a family and create a system Revit thinks of this system as a child in search of a parent. The equipment you assign to that system is the parent. If you consider air terminals, you select one,create a supply system, and select equipment. The air terminal is the child and the equipment (VAV) is the parent. In your case the air handlers are both parents who are looking for children. Revit doesn't create systems in that order or direction. It is always looking up to a parent.

Is there a piece of equipment above them? If so then that is the equipment the air handlers can be associated with. If not then the Plenum is the child and it needs to be associated with its parents, the two air handlers.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 3 of 6
RJServoss
in reply to: SteveKStafford

How do I assign 2 pieces of equipment as the parents?
Message 4 of 6
SteveKStafford
in reply to: RJServoss

Do you have a component that you can select that represents the plenum return? Something needs to represent that so it can be used to create a system and then the equipment can be added to the system.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 5 of 6
ajax05k
in reply to: SteveKStafford

same problem with chillers, there are multipel chillers various AHU, and i cannot add these chillers to a single system, is there any way to group these chillers and include them in the same system.
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 6 of 6
RJServoss
in reply to: ajax05k

It's a bit confusing as you would think that since the equipment is in parallel that in the system browser they would be at the same location in the hierarchy, but that is not the case. If you simply add the other piece of equipment to the system through the "edit system" "add to system" command, your system flow configuration and your flow factors will work correctly. You do not need to, nor are you able to, add the additional parallel equipment to the system through the "Select Equipment" command. When you look at your system browser, it will show flows that also are a bit confusing, as your parent piece of equipment will show the entire flow of the system and not the flow multiplied by the flow factor. This is just how the system browser works, as it is simply summing the flows of all the parts of the system. Lower in the hierarchy will be the parallel pieces of equipment (as well as any other devices in the system) and until you properly connect your system, the flows of the parallel pieces will show as zero or n/a. Once properly connected, it will populate with the correct flow. If you inspect your properly connected system you'll see that even though your system browser shows your parent piece of equipment with the entire flow of the system on it, that the flow has been multiplied by the flow factor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report