Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/Monitor deleting or moving families

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
the_cad_monkey
967 Views, 13 Replies

Copy/Monitor deleting or moving families

I was curious if anyone has had this issue before. A customer is using our family models and having issues when they use copy/monitor. The models elevations are changing or disappearing. They claim another manufacturer had this issue and changed something on the models. Could this be a version issue?
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

How is the other office doing the copy/monitor? If they are doing the "mapping" of one family for another, that could explain why they are seeing different things, since they would be using different families. Is that what they are doing? More information would be helpful.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 14

They are using the same models and copying them.
Message 4 of 14

By "models" do you mean "families"?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 14

Yes, families.
Message 6 of 14

Yes, but do you know which method is the other office using? Who is the other party? MEP? There is "copy original" and "mapping" (replacing). Usually they would use "copy original" if your families have connectors. Otherwise, they might do the mapping to replace your families with their "equivalent" (not identical) families with connectors. Some other offices don't even bother with that but just place families that just have connectors and/or fittings and no other geometry. That's the reason for my questions.

Message 7 of 14

They are using copy original. The families are Fans/blowers. They are doing a copy monitor on them to bring them in to run the electric. When they do, some of the fans loose their elevation coordinate. According to them, another manufacturer had the same issue and fixed something on their families. The only thing I could think of would be something related to the origin in the model. Thanks for the help.
Message 8 of 14
XeroPhane
in reply to: the_cad_monkey

Is there any chance you could upload the family so we can try to replicate the issue on our end?  Otherwise it's really only speculation without root.

Message 9 of 14
the_cad_monkey
in reply to: XeroPhane

The model is attached here as well as a picture of what is happening.  It is hard to see, but in the copy the component is losing it's elevation.

Message 10 of 14
XeroPhane

Ok bad news... That is a tough one. I threw everything I could think of at it: * Changing project coordinates in both files (deliberately made them inconsistent) * Moving the linked file * Changing the levels to be in different locations * Used all types in the family scattered all over (host, location and level) * Multiple Copy * Copy one at a time * Batch copy without copying levels first * Batch copy with copied levels * Set some fixture instances to be at varying level offsets But I could not reproduce the issue. So frustrating! I hope someone on here comes up with a solution. Best of luck! (and my apologies)
Message 11 of 14
the_cad_monkey

Thanks for trying. I tried but I am not familiar with copy/monitor. We supply the families of our products. Could it be they are using an older version of Revit? Thanks again.
Message 12 of 14

I created a project in Revit 2014, placed this family, then linked this project into another project, did copy monitor with "copy original". As I was expecting, the family did not "lose its elevations" (How can a family made of solids "lose" its elevations?). I don't think there is any issue with the family. It might be some visibility setting or section depth, etc, on your clients' side.

Message 13 of 14
XeroPhane

It could be but I'm unable to fully test the theory. I only have 2013 and 2014 installed right now. However, I tried loading the family into 2013 and it said it was created in a newer Revit version than the one I was trying to insert it into. So.. that could dispel the version theory if they're using the same family as you sent.
Message 14 of 14
the_cad_monkey

Thanks for the effort. They did have a version for 2013. We have updated the models every year since 2009. It is odd that this is the first case we have had of this when the models are used a lot, but I had to make an effort to fix it. Customers first. If you guys use Hvac, Loren Cook has all of ours modeled as well as a handy addin. You can import a schedule with all the data filled out on the units. Thanks again guys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report