Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Neutral Wire Upsizing

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
563 Views, 2 Replies

Automatic Neutral Wire Upsizing

When adding receptacles to a three phase four wire distribution system, rather than allowing multiple neutrals, Revit keeps recalculating the unbalanced load and increasing the size of a common neutral.  In Canada (or Ontario, at least), this is not allowed in receptacle circuits.  Six receptacle circuits will require 6 phase conductors and 2 neutrals, each sized to share the unbalanced load of three circuits.

Can this recalculation feature be turned off, and a simple counting mechanism instituted?  There are also times when a dedicated, unshared neutral (identified conductor) is required.  But when using the automated circuiting feature of Revit, I cannot find a way to adjust or override this.  Is there a setting or parameter somewhere that I need to adjust?

Thanks very much!

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ltadachi
in reply to: Anonymous

i know this is from a while back. hopefully it benefits others. 

double neutrals are relatively rare in my circuiting . so when i need it i duplicate a wire type and cap the max wire size to the relevant wire size just for that double neutral wire size.

most of my double neutral circuits are #12's or number #10's  for sensitive lab devices. so i just have those two size caps and i name the wire type for it. e.g. "double neutral #10". that way the revit wire size parameter will be forced to report multiple wires of the size necessary for the neutrals. 

circuit properties.png

wiring types.png

Message 3 of 3
smbrennan
in reply to: ltadachi

Are you referring to the fact that your options for # of neutrals are either 1 neutral for each circuit or 1 neutral shared across all circuits? If so, I'm afraid us Electrical folks are S.O.L. for the time being.

Please use my link below to provide feedback regarding this issue. The Autodesk will continue to let these issues lapse until they see enough demand for it. Share the link please.
Shawn B.

|   
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report