Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Age-Old Multi Monitor Question

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ohioDeveloper
624 Views, 4 Replies

The Age-Old Multi Monitor Question

I know how to do this in MicroStation, but not AutoCAD.

In MicroStation, there is a preference that enables the application to have more than one window. Each window can be docked on different monitors.

Since it is one instance of the application, if I open one drawing, I can then enable multiple 'views' of that drawing and place them on different monitors. So, for example, I could have a 3D Isometric view of something on one monitor, a 2D view on the other, and navigate and draw and zoom in both views separately, and they live update.

Thus far with AutoCAD, I know I can stretch the application accross multiple monitors (that's okay, although it doesn't work well if the monitors are different sizes) and I don't know a lot about viewports, but I suspect I could have multiple open. I also know that I can open two instances of AutoCAD and open the same drawing twice, but one of them is read-only.

I also just tried DSViewer for the first time, and while it is dockable on another monitor, it doesn't seem to support the interactive functions I'm looking for.

My question: is there a way to mimic MicroStation's functionality, where on two different monitors, I can have two different views of the same drawing, and have full draw/edit/zoom functionality on both?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: ohioDeveloper

Most of our users go with tiled modelspace, which allows for separate viewports in modelspace.  They all exist within one drawing window and must be logically connected/no dead-space.  Less commonly used are saved views.  There is no direct equivalent to MS where you have multiple floating windows which can be sized and located independantly.

Past the first couple of viewports there is severly diminishing returns, as you will find yourself doing the majority of work in one or two and all but ignorning the rest.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5

I use three monitors and keep my workspace confined to one. The left monitor is for Palettes that I keep open, Command Line, ADCENTER, and such. The right is for third party programs that  use while in CAD.

Not quite what you are asking but another way to use multiple monitors with a CAD environment.

I do agree that four might get a bit over the top unless I wanted to see my email all the time.

Message 4 of 5
rkmcswain
in reply to: Charles_Shade

@Charles_Shade wrote:

I use three monitors ......

Charles, can you give us a quick summary of the hardware/architecture of how your tri-monitors are setup?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 5 of 5
Charles_Shade
in reply to: rkmcswain

Not really but I can direct you to Brian Adams of Practical Solutions that set this up. bdadamsatnetzerodotcom

The card is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 that supports three monitors. All are DVI/HDMI; Analog connection is just too grainy.

One monitor is connected to the motherboard that is an ASRock Z77 Extreme4. The other two to ports on the card.

Hope this helps and it took a while to find this Forum

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost