Did you mean: 

How to install AutoCAD 2010-2012 .NET Wizards on Win 7-64 bit

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
scottgensemer8984
2369 Views, 4 Replies

How to install AutoCAD 2010-2012 .NET Wizards on Win 7-64 bit

I have seen lots of posts - but no real good solution, and nothing really recent. So...

I have:
AutoCAD 2012
Visual Studio 2010 Express (VB, C#, C++)
Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit
4.0 Framework

When I try and run the "AutoCAD 2010-2012 .NET Wizards" MSI, it fails with a "There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." I get the same message when I try and uninstall it.

I have compatability mode set on the MSI file.
There is no "Unblock" option for the MSI file.
I have set the Program Files (x86)\Autodesk folder to read/write.

What is the program it is looking for?
What am I missing?

There have been posts about creating your own template if you can't install the wizard, but I find no post that actually explains the process to do so. I have no .NET or Visual Studios programming experience (yet).

I am trying to learn VB.NET to replace an old VBA .dvb file which doesn not work really on 64-bit.

I'm at a loss at what do do about this, and the project I'm working on is rather urgent...

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I think the earlier Wizards are looking for the full (non-Express) version of Visual Studio.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5

OK...

If that be the case - Then how do I setup VS Express to do the same job? That was the other part of my issue. I can not find any procedure anywhere to create templates or whatever to simulate (duplicate?) what the wizards would do. Can't afford the full version - so that is out...

<Sigh>

Message 4 of 5

Just for everyone's edification...

I worked with Autodesk direct on this, and we came up empty. Could not get it to install on my PC, and we could not figure out why.

HOWEVER...

I could get the variation of this to install. Go to http://spiderinnet1.typepad.com/blog/ and download "AutoCAD .NET Addin Wizard (AcadNetAddinWizard)". (There is usually a link at the bottom of most of the blogs.) That seemed to install and I could get at those Wizards.

I was kindly given a Word Doc by the Autodesk support person (Thanks!!) that explained how to manually get an AutoCAD plugin started. I will attach that here.

Hope this helps somone else frustrated by Stupid Windows Trollery...

Message 5 of 5

Right click the installer and then choose Compatibility and select "Run this program in previous verison of windows" or something like that. Then run the installer. That should do it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost