Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exact distances on UV Maps

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
noah707
1555 Views, 2 Replies

Exact distances on UV Maps

Hey there,

I want to know how I can get exact distances on my UV maps.

I unwrapped my 3D DSLR camera model and I want to manage that the texts and signs on the texture have exactly the same distance like in reality. So how can I get those exact distances?

Cheers

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekahennequet
in reply to: noah707

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey there,

I want to know how I can get exact distances on my UV maps.

I unwrapped my 3D DSLR camera model and I want to manage that the texts and signs on the texture have exactly the same distance like in reality. So how can I get those exact distances?

Cheers

Hi.

UV coordinates use different units of measurement from 3D models, so it is not possible to get a corresponding distances of UV coordinates. Instead, you have a finite UV Map space with minimum value being U:0, V:0, and maximum value being U:1, V:1, no matter what your texture size is. If your 3D model has corresponding vertices that you can use as distance markers and the corresponding UVs are free of distortions, then Render your UVW template via Unwrap Modifier's UV Editor -> Tools -> Render UVW Template. You can then place your "signs" and "texts" accordingly in Photoshop.

Message 3 of 3
ekahennequet
in reply to: ekahennequet

Having posted my previous reply, one crude way to force your UVs to read out measurements that mimc real-world units is by copying the map channel info via Channel Info utility and paste it to Mesh data channel. This works with Editable Mesh.

Do not do this on your original:

1. Duplicate your model and convert to Editable Mesh.

2. Go to Utilities panel and go to More -> Channel Info.

3. Copy the object's "map" channel and paste it into the "mesh" channel. Your model will now look like your UV layout in a much smaller scale. The scale of your new mesh will correspond proportionately to your scene unit. For example: If your UV cluster takes up exactly 25% of your UV Tile and your scene unit is 1 inch, then your mesh will 0.5 inch. This new mesh has nothing to do with your actual UVs. It's just a 3D representation of your UV layout.

Hope this makes sense.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report