Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimension between drawing views

dimension between drawing views

The ability to dimension between 2 different drawing views would be helpful.  When comparing a family of products it is beneficial to be able to show the differences between the members.  Currently I do not see a way of doing this other then by creating sketches and aligning them by eye.

4 Comments
kevinb
Advocate

Hm, I think you can force an alignment between the two views (the "break alignment" tool is a drop down) and then turn the changed dimensions to reference dimensions (which will box them).

The other things that come to mind are to make an assembly with just the two parts next to each other (which would make them part of the same view) but you wouldn't be able to do it in Inventor LT.

What I see in many technical drawings is that a dimension will be labeled with a letter/symbol and then a chart with the dimensions are generated, however this won't help in a comparison view.

Thank you for the tips.

Here is what I would like to be able to do:

Right click on a view, select alignment, then be able to select, for example, a horizontal line within that view. Then, you should be prompted to select another horizontal line in another view. That would set the two views in alignment based off of those two selected lines, not based on a coordinate system within the assembly. Then when the two views are aligned, the dimension tool can be used between them. No need for additional sketches, and, the dims should remain intact until the alignment is removed from the two views.

Thank you.
Stephen R.
LT.Rusty
Advisor

Your idea about picking alignment points between different drawing views is brilliant.  That I'll give a +1 to.

Thank you.

Stephen R.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report