4 Kudos
cbenner

Routed Systems length parameter to Part Number/File Name

by *Expert Elite* ‎03-28-2013 08:02 AM - edited ‎03-28-2013 08:05 AM

In the Content Center, I can edit a Pipe Conduit part's family table and modify the length column so that it is a Custom Column.  I add a length range, similar to how it is done on stock Frame generator profiles.  So far so good.  I also set the column for my file name (which is mapped to project.description so it will show up as such in parts list), as a string like:  "PTFE Spool " {designation} " x " {length}.  Designation is set to show the size formatted to match our purchasing system.  (1" is shown as 100.  Weird, I know)  The entire string then for a 1" x 12" spool would be:  PTFE Spool 100 x 12.

In an assembly, if I Place from Content Center, As Custom, a member from this family, the File name and Description parameters show up as shown above.  Just like I would want them to.  But here's the rub, and (sorry so long winded) the IDEA:

In Routed Systems, once I am in a Pipe Run or populating a pipe route, if I follow the same process of Place From Content Center as Custom, the spool piece comes in with the Filename and Description as:  PTFE Spool 100 x .001.  This is also true of any spools being created by populating a pipe route.

I'd like to see consistensy of pushing these Family Table values out to the part, regardless of wether it is in an assembly or in a pipe environment. 

Did I make any sense?  :smileysurprised:

Comments
by brimal on ‎04-02-2014 11:22 AM

I can't seem to even get this far.  I still have the problem that Part Number in the spool piece doesn't populate at all (although the description does).  See older thread:

Authoring Tube and Pipe Conduit

I've tried formatting the Part Number in the Content Center two different ways:

="96"&{SCH}&{DC}&" - "&{PL}

96"&{SCH}&{DC}& - &{PL}

SCH = Pipe Schedule

DC = a diameter code

PL = Pipe Length

BrianM

by Distinguished Contributor raymondlee306 on ‎04-06-2014 01:04 PM

What I've done is copied the family I want to use a s my routes. I create a custom column in the family table and make it my part number. I then link that column to the "Authority" iProperties. When I populate a BOM in an .idw I format the part number column to use a substituion of Authority. I works with no real issues, just took a little longer during set up.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
IdeaStation Guidelines
Review guidelines and best practices
before posting a new idea.

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube