Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduce Installer Download Size

Reduce Installer Download Size

Some of us have poor connections.  In addition, the 64bit installer is too large to download as a single exe file (being something along the line of 4 gigs).  If you don't have fast internet, this can take hours to download at a time.  The problem is that at 3.9 gigs and ~600 megs the first file will frequently time out on our connection (it takes about 10 hours) because of how long it takes.  Breaking it up into two similar sized chunks (~2 gigs for current downloads) would help aleviate this since a junk file that cancels halfway through woudn't take as long to download.  Even better would be breaking it into 20 pieces (which you could mass download or download specific ones that are scrap) or releasing a torrent download (which would significantly reduce the Autodesk server costs). 

Having to set it downloading after work and then hoping it doesn't get disconnected in the night and having to go again the next day because of how large the individual file is and hoping it works that day is not good.  It's needless headache.

6 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

You can request a memory stick to be mailed..

kevinb
Advocate

Fair enough.

LT.Rusty
Advisor

I feel your pain with the bad internet connection.  I can't download the software at work, because of how terrible our connection is.  I just go home and download the PDSU full installer - all, what, 13 GB or so ? - and then bring it in to work.  Only takes me 30-40 minutes to do.

kevinb
Advocate

I do the same most of the time.  But it's best practice that if it takes multiple downloads, they should be roughly the same size to prevent the issue of one massive file repeatedly getting disconnected.  Imagine if somebody simply doesn't have access to fast internet because of location.

dkatz
Advocate

I had an autodesk CSR tell me to do this when our 2014 install went batty. Then he gave me a link that worked, but didn't work. (I downloaded the 32 bit version by clicking on "Windows 7 64 bit" - wasted the day on it)

I got helped by my reseller in locating a more secure link, but I didn't get my time back.

This idea is a good idea for support requests. If the guy on the phone had offered an overnighted memory stick, I would have done that.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly- it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes.

We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know.

- Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report