Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Change Content Center Default Location

Please Change Content Center Default Location

Hi,

I found many new users of Inventor loosing their Content Center ( Bolt, Bearing, etc ) because they did not know that these files were on C:\users\user name\Documents\Content Center Files\R2014\.

If they have problem on Drive C: they will format their computer. Data on Drive 😧

But then they realized that their all Content Center already gone.

Could Autodesk change Content Center Default Location to the Directory that the Project  ipj File ?

If they make Folder d:\Packaging Machine it should be on d:\Packaging Machine\Content Center Files\

Best Regards,

Haisin R.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2014 Update 2
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8460w; 8 GB RAM; i7 - 2.0 GHz; AMD Firepro M3900 -1 GB

12 Comments
cbenner
Mentor

Hi,

Are you using Vault for your Content Center?  if so you can change the default location in Vault... if not, you can set your library location in the Inventor Options.

The comment about people formatting thier hard drives is frightening,... that should be a last resort for any problem.

For specific help with this, I suggest posting a question in the forums (if you haven't already).

Rory_M
Advocate

I totally agree with this one. I've seen so many people over the years set up a project and miss this setting.

When they then backup their data and transfer it to a new machine, the Content Centre files get forgotten about or left behind which causes major issues.

Even people who work from a network can fall foul of this, as forgetting this setting means that the content centre files are on a local drive and don't get backed up. It only takes one hard drive to fail to cause a lot of problems.

I know that ultimately it's the fault of the end user by not setting their project up correctly, but it isn't an obvious setting, so why not make it more obvious or more user friendly in the first place by having it follow the path of the rest of the files.

Cadmanto
Mentor

We have vault and the CC location has never been a problem for us.  So I am not sure where you are getting your info from to base your opening statement on.

haisin_rusli
Enthusiast

Hi cbenner,

In my country many users are new on Inventor, they even did not know what Vault is, so they never use it.

If they have made two Projects or more, and then they realized that they forget to change the Content Center Setting, all of Content Center Files ( Bolts, Bearing,ect ) will accumulate into one location. It's very hard for them to choose which files is For Projact A, Project B, etc  then move it to the right Data Folder.

Best Regards,

Haisin Rusli

LT.Rusty
Advisor

That's what Content Center should do - it's supposed to accumulate all the parts into one location, regardless of which project you're working in.  That way you're not creating hundreds of different files when just one will suffice.

cwhetten
Advisor

The OP is talking about this:

When Inventor is first installed, it sets the default content center path thus:

Default CC Path.png

The problem lies in that part of this path is %USERPROFILE%.  This makes the path dependent on the user's windows login.  (Ignore the other settings.  This is not my real setup, I just made this image to demonstrate what the OP is talking about).

I have had trouble with this in the past, when I have had to log into another user's computer because I need files that they worked on, but they are not in the office.  I don't have their windows password to log into their account, so I have to log in under a guest account or whatever.  But when I try to open the file in Inventor, it can't find any of the CC files because it is looking in the wrong folder (again, because it is looking in a specific user folder).

Many users who don't understand project and library paths struggle with this.  It can cause lots of file resolution issues.  I agree with the OP that they should change the default path when Inventor is installed.  At the very least, set it to use the public windows profile, rather than a specific user.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

jtylerbc
Mentor

Haisin,

One way to work around this is to set up a project file that directs the Content Center parts to the proper location within the projec's files.  Then, instead of making project files from scratch themselves, teach your users to copy your "template" project file.

While it might be helpful if Autodesk changed the defaults to match your request, following a process like this could achieve the same effect for you in the meantime.  We had a lot of trouble with lost Content Center parts in the past, and implementing has mostly eliminated those problems.

khosking
Enthusiast

Since the CC directory can be customised, either via Inventor Application Options, or individually for each Project, I don't think it's a good idea to change this default behaviour.

haisin_rusli
Enthusiast

Hi jtylerbc,

That's a good idea to copy ipj File instead of making project files from sketch to minimize mistakes.

The Content Center will be in the same Folder whatever the Folder name.

Thank you!  

Best Regards,

Haisin Rusli

CC.JPG

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

MarcinStJasinski
Contributor

Hi everyone. Is there way to change the default Content Center folder path in the application settings so that each time a new project is created, the Content Center files will be located in the project folder? Or is it possible to modify the default project file in the right way?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report