Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pattern Enhancement

Pattern Enhancement

Along with all the other Pattern requests (multiple spacing, fill area etc) how about an optimised pattern when dealing with large numbers

Currently working on file with 2 holes patterned 628 x 56 (thats 70,336 holes!), now I appreciate this is where textures might help, but not all features being patterned are simple round holes.

When drawing the preview for a large occurence pattern, Inventor will only show the corners to give an idea of the area covered. I would like Inventor to only produce the geometry that we see in these previews (maybe 50 holes for example) but still report the full number in hole tables, hole notes etc

12 Comments
LT.Rusty
Advisor

This would be great, especially if you could have the ability to toggle it on and off.  I've got a couple of parts which have a molded-in grid texture pattern on them.  I need the grid to be fully modeled so that I can send the model off to the mold shop and be sure that they'll mill it all properly, but when I do drawings and just mess around with the model in assemblies, etc., it just kills my machine to have 200x350 grid pattern with .375 spacing.

It would be GREAT to define an area within which the pattern would be computed & visible, and then in the rest of the area it's not, as something like a view rep.

BryanKelley
Alumni
Status changed to: Comments Requested
Hello Matt, would you want it to do what I have posted?
BryanKelley
Alumni

Hello Matt,

Is this the type of behavior that you're looking for within the model?

Thanks,

Bryan

3-13-2013 1-53-45 PM.png

3-13-2013 1-59-56 PM.png

MattH_Work
Collaborator

Bryan, thats exactly what I'm talking about. Just so long as the hole notes / tables etc call it out as 180 Holes (30 x 6) not the 48 (in your example) that have been modeled.

Give us the option to turn on or off the optimised pattern, and maybe also allow us to tweak the number shown, 4 would be the minimum ( the corners of the pattersn footprint), all thr way upto the full amoint

japike
Collaborator
The correct mass of the part needs to be maintained as well.
swalton
Mentor

Would it be ok to just show the simplified pattern on idws? 

I can see some difficulties with simplifing the model.

How do you get the correct weight or CG?,  How do you populate components in an assembly that follows the reduced style pattern?  What happens with patterns-of-patterns?

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Under Review

RobJV
Collaborator

I too would love this. 

bverboort
Advocate

Also, make sure to support entire qty of features when adding annotations and/or doing mass/MoI calcs.

And...Ensure support for "Derived" part workflow is accommodated/included.

tmoney2007
Collaborator

Add the capability to include a simplified view to large patterns.  This would specifically apply to cuts, especially for sheetmetal.  This way you could make a substitute with holes stitched up that still showed a representation of the geometry (fill the cuts with a color, black by default).

Torben.pedersen
Collaborator

this is something I have looked for, I allmost only make parts with a lot of holes ( over 10.000 pieces ) so the PC/Inventor is getting quit slow

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report