Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attach Text to Balloons

Attach Text to Balloons

I think you would be really useful to have an interface that attaches text to balloons. Something like the image below where you can attach it to any side.

Attach Text to Ballon.jpg

Attach Text to Ballon 2.jpg

It would be nice if you double click the balloon and attach whatever you need. It would also never lose the link to the balloon.

51 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

In other softwares there were abilities to have the quantities of components (specifically hardware) to show

up adjacent to the balloons.  (see below)

quantities.PNG

Currently to follow ASME Y14.5 we type these in linking them to the drawing views.  While they move when the view is moved they do not move when the balloons are moved.  What a nice addition to the software this would be.

Mark_Wigan
Collaborator

i may misunderstand so i apologise if this is wrong,

we use a leader note for this which can be locked to a balloon quandrant. instead of the second mouse click normally used to define other end of the leader, just hit enter.

it will be more difficult to automatically get the correct Qty for the items though i suspect compared to retrieving that property from the view?

either way the functionality request is a good one. it would save doing the manual work for things like this that are needed often.

Cadmanto
Mentor

Mark,

I know you can do what you said you are currently doing, but in addition to what I have already written I would like to see this quantity text be edited in some balloon dialog window that allows you to place it at any quadrant of the balloon and also add additional lines of text as well as making it parametric to the assembly so as quantities change so does this.

I would also like the option to turn off the quantity while placing other types of multiple lines of text.

I hope this makes more sense.

swhite
Collaborator

Try message 6. Just put qty instead of notes. You will probably need 2 symbols, one for notes only and one for qty only (with or without notes)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/numbers-are-added-to-symbol-when-using-symbol-in-lie...

Cadmanto
Mentor

This is the exact reason why I am suggesting this idea.  All of these are bandaid approaches to get text associated with balloons.  But they are all still not parametric with the BOM.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Duplicate
Hello this is similar request to another idea posted here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Custom-Balloons-in-a-Style/idi-p/3699590 Both fall under a theme to support custom balloon styles. Be sure to cast a kudo for the duplicate idea. Thanks for sharing the enhancement request. This project [US14659] is under review by the development team.
Cadmanto
Mentor

Dan,

I cast my vote for that one, but I respectfully disagree that this idea is a duplicate of the other one.

The other one is just asking for the ability to add custom symbology to balloons and that is similar to where I want to add attached text to the balloons, but it does not speak to parametric quantities linked to the balloons.  This is where I think they are different.

dan_szymanski
Autodesk

Hello Cadmanto,

The idea posted for "custom balloon styles" would support the positioning of any property (QTY, Part Number, Custom property, etc) AND geometry specified within a custom balloon.  Your explicit request for parametric quantity display, association and position are covered within the notion of a "custom balloon style".  I suppose it is a matter of semantics.

For example, today we can create a custom sketch symbol that extracts certain properties from any component (present within a view) it is attached to.  The properties can be positioned, as desired and there is no limit to the # of properties or the amount of geometry (lines, circles, arcs) we include within the respective symbol.  However at the end of the day it is not a balloon and has no association to the parts list or global BOM.  As we have it captured, the idea of a "custom balloon style" would treat a sketched symbol like a balloon.  So I believe we have captured both requests into a single idea or functional notion, thus the duplicate tag on this idea.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan

Cadmanto
Mentor

Thanks Dan.

The way you explained it made sense.  Thank you for your attention to this idea.

Scott

Cadmanto
Mentor

What you are suggesting has already been incorporated somewhat in my idea that was marked as a duplicate.  Just thought you would be interested to know.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Parametric-Quantities-Attached-to-Balloons/idi-p/...

jddickson
Advocate

Sorry, I thought I did a quick search before I posted the Idea and nothing showed up. I’m still a little new to looking at and posting stuff on forums. I have used a lot of other CAD software’s and they all have something similar to this. It’s a good idea and I was wondering why Inventor doesn’t have something like it… 

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Duplicate
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

After additional consideration, this Idea has been converted from Duplicate to Accepted. We understand that TYP. or REF. text tags are often times common on balloon annotations. Accepted idea [US-50927]. Thanks!

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

After additional consideration - this has been re-reviewed and Accepted. It is an extension of the following idea which is related - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Attach-Text-to-Balloons/idi-p/3941522 Accepted idea [US-50927]. Thanks!

mikeh7
Collaborator

I'd be inclined to Automate it as much as possible.  Say for instance on the part call out and a qty, have the ability to harvest the Qty out of the part list like a hole note does w/ Qty.

We handle Typ and Ref on Hole notes and dimensions via a REF and TYP style, where we select the dim style prior to placing the annotation or you can window or ctrl select annotations then switch the style.  Could we do the same for balloons?

Let's add TYP to weld symbols too while were at it please.

Thanks for Listening!

seth.moffit
Enthusiast

Can we add the option for when ballooning a drawing with part numbers instead of item numbers to have the short horizontal line to the leader similar to leader text. I can pull part number information in to Leader Text  but would like to get structured BOM behaviour similar to Ballooning based on structured BOM. Leader Text drills all the way down to the part file the leader is touching. Also is there a way to get the leader to pull the information from the part it is hovering over versus having to touch an edge of the part or assembly? Let me know if you need any clarification. I'm glad this has been accepted. Look forward to seeing it in the near future!

mcm1009
Explorer

In DRAWING...

The ability for the user to right click a balloon and select ATTACH TEXT BOX.  This will open up the FORMAT TEXT box, allowing the user to enter text and make any necessary changes.  Once the user presses OK, the text will appear in a box below the balloon.  This text box is now attached to the balloon, so that when the balloon is moved, the text box will automatically move with it.

Also to have the ability to attach an existing text box to an existing balloon, allowing them to move in unison.  Much like "Link" or "Group" layers feature in Photoshop. 

Thank you.

Tags (6)
samuwihlman
Contributor

I have solved this with leader.

If you show a balloon with leader and then push just right mouse button it will have a text next to balloon.

and that text moves along the balloon.

Im not sure if this helps but it works already 🙂

mcm1009
Explorer
Hi,

Yes. You are referring to adding text to a leader, which is nice, but not
what I'm suggesting. I would like a way to link a text box to a balloon
... not being restricted to have it only display over the leader. Now if I
could unpin that text from over the leader and position it wherever I would
like and still have it move with the balloon, then that would solve
everything.

Thank you for your reply.
TCMDESIGN_Group
Enthusiast

to add to this...the option for a balloon to include a qty note (much like the hole function)......

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report