Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR support for Inventor

VR support for Inventor

I have seen, this idea posted in here, but I wanted to give my point of view my idea of CAD+VR setup. 

At the moment VR is just launching at the consumer level, and the hardware that is good enough is here. 

I think that fusion 360 and Inventor both should have VR intergration, because it opens up new ways to work and collaborate 

At the moment the best hardware to start implementing would be HTC Vive, and later Oculus Rift. 
why? 

Because roomscale and motion controllers. 

For example look at the program called tilt brush, and if any chance try it. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91J8pLHdDB0

VR for the abilty to get sense of scale of the things you are modeling.

Motion controllers for modeling and interacting with parts.

Roomscale for walking around your model.

at the moment game engines like Unreal Engine 4 and Unity will have VR editor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKO9fEjNiio

and valve had awesome collection of demos, called the lab, and one of them is Human Body Scan where you can view 3D model of skeleton and the feeling i got, is the ability to slice the scan and look inside, and this would be awesome to to with inventor assembles, the function to do that in inventor is there.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PVAcLlYUpg

and  for the last thing 

http://www.engineering.com/DesignSoftware/DesignSoftwareArticles/ArticleID/11985/Dassault-Systemes-T...

50 Comments
jimmy760
Enthusiast

It would be cool to have the UI seen in the Iron Man movies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGaLQrIBTiw

Seriously how far away are we from this type holographic UI? Or is this up there with time travel?

The closest thing I've found is: http://zspace.com/

Does Autodesk produce any hardware toys / tools like ZSpace?

jletcher
Advisor

Ha ha

My friend this is already out there I played with it a few years back when it was a beta at a simulation expo it was cool but needed improvements not sure where they are with it today.

It will not be Inventor but a add in to any cad program like the 3D connexion mouse.

I will see if I can find information for you..

jletcher
Advisor
jletcher
Advisor
dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

jimmy760
Enthusiast

Hi

jletcher

Thanks I had no idea.

Thanks.

jimmy760
Enthusiast

I like Leapmotion.

Seen any holographic interfaces yet though... ?

imajar
Advisor

Step 1:  Get your smartphone

Step 2:  Open VR app and load the inventor assembly or presentation

Step 3:  Insert phone into VR headset (ie:  google cardboard)

Step 4:  Review the design

Im not talking about viewing a static "photosphere" . . . althought that would be nice too.  I am talking xbox / playstation like movement through a virtual world.

I just dont know how to navigate the VR world with a smartphone or how well a smartphone will handle large assemblies, which is where this feature would be most usefull.  Any Ideas?  (It doesnt have to be a smartphone, but it would seem that smartphone virtual reality will be the first major player in this market . . . at least until xbox or playstation comes out with a VR gaming console)

I commonly find that conveying ideas and concepts to non-engineers (ie- comany management) can be challenging.  I myself am often suprised in some way or another at the final outcome of a design (usually size).  I believe VR can help provide a bridge between the intended design and the final outcome.

Tags (2)
dgorsman
Consultant

Navigation problem is fairly simple, using existing augmented reality technology and a target.  Viewing angle of the target is translated to viewing angle of the objects.

Many of those responsible for reviewing designs require glasses, or suffer from VR-related motion sickness, and if they can't use the system it becomes yet another expensive, over-complicated replacement for a simple projector and meeting room wall.

ENomden
Explorer

I believe there is a reason for this not existing yet. Not sure what kind of models you want to show, but models that i'm used to are just to heavy to run on a smartphone. Even to get this working on a Oculus connected to a fast workstation for example is quit a challenge (Naviswork -> Maya3D -> Unity 3D). Between a technical 3D model and a VR 3D world is a really big gap. And there would be practical issues like viewing (only one person who can view the model? or do you "link" several phone so everybody sees the same thing? Wouldn't that create the motion sickness mentioned above if one does the moving?) And what about a reference, you can't see real life things, so you wouldn't have a good perspective about size. etc. etc.

But i like the idea that you would have a option to view select stereo viewing in Navisworks, just like for instance you can do in youtube. But just for everybody individual and not for a group review.

imajar
Advisor

ENomden,

I can see the issues you are mentioning.  You are probably right that it would have to be a single person viewing the model (or in a group setting, each reviewer would have individual control. . . but I dont think that a group setting is practical anyway given the expense of the hardware and other factors).  

The gap between the technical 3D model and VR 3D world is probably something I dont quite understand.  I would have thought that the same 3D geometry is just as useful in both cases, all that changes is how the content is rendered?  For VR, I would think that all you would need to do is render two images from two perspectives (your two eye-balls) using the correct perspective view.  Is that right or is it way too simplistic? As far as movement, could the oculus output to inventor the position control in a similar way that a spaceball does?  (again, a little beyond my expertise. . . just some thoughts)

On another note, I recently tried an Oculus rift.  In the preview was a 3D environment that a person could look at from different angles, not too dissimilar from what a CAD model could look like. . .  I was far more impressed than I thought I would be.  No amount of presentation with a projector could have matched this.  This is probably a bit bold to say, but wonder if VR or augmented reality will begin to play a major role in mechanical design in the near future.  (And I  hope it does, I was that impressed by the Oculus Rift).

dan_szymanski
Autodesk
Status changed to: Gathering Support

machiel.veldkamp
Collaborator

Oh yes. The earlier the better.

AnkuAwesome
Observer

I agree. This would be next level. 

jporter
Advocate

If this was available, it would give us a leg up on our competition!

AnkuAwesome
Observer
As in Vex Robotics Competition? Yes our team agrees that VR support would
be very useful in our design stage.
mario.saarik
Contributor
RickBrown7019
Explorer

I'd like to see the kind of functionality illustrated in TFI cad tips video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wovfRWBQ-vs.  Clearly Autodesk 'have the technology', however purchasing a full blown program such as VRED Pro  (AUD 16,000 per annum) for the purpose of simply presenting a customer with a concept occasionally is beyond reasonable.  Inventor already has simple tools for applying materials and lights, we just need the bridge into VR.

alexmende
Collaborator

I would just like to voice my opinion here... Please do not spend the time or resources to develop this. There are so many other basic functionality fixes that need to be accomplished... We need less new features and more fixes of existing broken features. Sorry if this is an unpopular opinion. Thanks.

AnkuAwesome
Observer
I agree that that is an unpopular opinion.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report