Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Browser

File Browser

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! For the love of God, get rid of this!!!

Browser complaint.jpg

I hate this browser with an absolute passion.  It is so dang slow, and also only pops up every so often.  Inventor has the good browser in most locations.

11 Comments
jletcher
Advisor

What Browser is it can't tell from picture to blurry..

ljordan
Advocate

It's the tree browser that pops up when setting location to save imported objects (or just files of a different format than Inventor's).  I have seen it in a few other locations as well.

Browser complaint.jpg

jletcher
Advisor

Not having same issues here what version you on.

ljordan
Advocate

2014 Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium.  

Browser complaint-1.jpg

jletcher
Advisor

Maybe a 2014 issue I am only on 2012 here at the client I will test on 2015 tonight see what happens..

Yeah I knew where you got it from but thanks.

The location, the server this is not the same server that runs your Internet is it?

I have seen issues with slow connection to server when clients don't have a dedicated file server and a Internet server.

If so have them turn off the Internet and see if it speeds you up.

rjay75
Collaborator

Actually I think that is the standard Windows Folder browser dialog from the Explorer shell. Most of the time the slowness I see in it is when browsing directories with a large number of subdirectories on networked locations. Everytime you select a directory it needs to get a list of the subdirectories and populate the tree. Sometimes this can slowdown on a congested network.

There may be some indexing options you can turn on the server to speed some of it up.

ljordan
Advocate

It is.  I really misspoke, but someone kudos before I could edit.  

I said, "It is so dang slow, and also only pops up every so often."  What I reall meant was it is much slower navigating because you have to collapse folders to avoid 20 minutes of scrolling, and then expand the right directory, followed by 20 minutes of scrolling.  Also, the popping up every so often was meant to be that the good browser isn't fully integrated.  They have this pissy version on;y in a few select locations.

ljordan
Advocate

I am all over the place with my typing.  Sorry, guys!

LT.Rusty
Advisor

No, I understand exactly what you meant, and agree.  I'd love to see the same file browser used across the board in all areas.

There's a lot of places where consistency needs to be worked on with Inventor.  File browsers.  Using Tab to move through dialogs.  Ctrl+Enter behavior in different text entry areas.  Circular pattern of parts / features / sketches.  Other areas as well, but those are the big ones that jump out at me right now.

inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Thanks for sharing your Idea. We use this forum to guide product development and help users in the best way we can based on voting. We occasionally merge Ideas or archive old ones to keep the forum working properly - it ensures there is room for people to review new Ideas and that the most relevant and meaningful ones can gain votes. We’re archiving this Idea because it's been on the board for well over a year and hasn't received many votes from the community. If you want to raise it again and try to gain more support, you're welcome to do so. We’ve found that pictures and mock-ups can help get concepts across and win more votes from other users. If you have questions or see a connection between this Idea and others, let us know. - Inventor product team (Inv.idea review)
inv.ideareview
Autodesk
Status changed to: Archived

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report