Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOM Structure per View Reresentation or LOD

BOM Structure per View Reresentation or LOD

I use Inventor for plant upgrades. Ideally we would use one master model through the life of the plant. When we add some new equipment to the plant we need to show the existing plant as 'reference' and the new plant as 'normal'. Later, the new plant becomes existing plant and we need to change BOM structure for a new drawing. However, that effects all of the old drawings. Sometimes we will have concurrent projects that require different BOM structures from the same live model. The only solution is to have multiple copies of the plant assembly (which can be large and complex), which completely defeats the purpose of having a single source of truth.

Ideally, the BOM structure could be set for a particular view representation or level of detail, so that drawings could be produced from the same model but with different linework and bills of materials.

Am I missing something?

8 Comments
jsmith923
Contributor

I would like the ability for the BOM's to only show what is currently shown in a Level of Detail.  I work on huge projects that get released in Phases (months apart) and want to keep all the parts in one BOM, but for each Phase, finished goods will be reused and I want to keep the item numbers the same, but I don't want a culmulative BOM, just one based on the current Level of Detail.  This will help with installation drawings (showing the parts that would be shipped with that particular Phase).

Tags (4)
jletcher
Advisor

UGH do a search before posting this has already been ask in idea..................

I will not post link tired of doing the searches for you people..

jtylerbc
Mentor

If you do this using View Representations instead of LOD (or copy your LOD's to View Reps), you can filter your parts list by View Rep.

It's not exactly what you're asking for (works in the parts list instead of BOM, for one thing), but it might be an improvement over however you are handling this currently.

malcolm_smith
Advocate

Surely I'm not the only person to notice this major flaw in Inventor?

Xun.Zhang
Alumni

Hi Malcolm,

It seems several similar ideas already existed in idea station, you can navigate to the idea post and give a vote.

For example: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/bom-representing-current-lod/idi-p/4529969

Thanks

malcolm_smith
Advocate

Thanks Zun,

Yes, that is the same idea and I have given it my vote.

markus.schrepfer
Advocate

Hi @Xun.Zhang,

the post you mentioned is already archived, so there is no way to vote for!

markus.schrepfer
Advocate

Hello,

BOM based on View Reps isn´t the same as based on LOD.

BOM based an LOD should effect the loading process - only the active components of the LOD are loaded when you place the parts list on the drawing sheet.

Please open the post in order to get votes for this important issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report