Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve Dimensions from iPart Members/Dervied Part

Retrieve Dimensions from iPart Members/Dervied Part

All,

I was recently working with a client who was working with an iPart and when moving to detail it, could not retrieve any dimensions.  Thinking that was interesting, I tried it myself and could retrieve dimensions from any individual member, just the active member.  I think it would be useful to retrieve dimensions from iParts, in order to save time.  Didn't see this idea entered in via the search, but if I missed it, let's add votes to the original one instead of this one.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

9 Comments
Cadmanto
Mentor

Why is it you can import dimensions from a part into a drawing, but it becomes impossible when this part is converted into an ipart.  Even worse if this ipart is used in an assembly there is no current way to import these dimensions.

I think this ability should be added for all levels whether it is a part, assembly, ipart or iassembly.

Tags (2)
rpeterson9DZ38
Contributor

I agree with this post.  And I am suprised that this is not a ability out of the box because

in the true world of parametrics all data(dimensions, features, planes, etc) should be

accessible at the child level through drawings.

ty

Rodney Peterson

miechh
Collaborator

I see this idea was initially posted in 2014, but it's still not available in Inventor 2016. So you have my vote!

rpeterson9DZ38
Contributor

Good, I am suprised that more users have not complained about this...Parametrics is where it's at!

cody.rasnake
Explorer

2018.3.3 still doesn't have this implemented!

amaysHQVPF
Participant

Creo has had this capability from day 1, possibly a carryover from Wildfire and earlier iterations as well.  It's really basic to the concept of parametric modeling as previous posters have indicated.

rpeterson9DZ38
Contributor

Autodesk has been  playing catch up to the front runners for years and is still doing it.

When one creates a multibody part, it is often necessary to create parts from this base multibody part. In a derived piece it would be good to have the option to import certain dimensions (that is, import the parameter with its respective dimension) so that when a Drawing retrieves these dimensions, not all the dimensions of the multibody as it usually does.
It would also be good to "unmark" some dimensions so that they are not visible when trying to retrieve dimensions of part in drawing, in this way one could retrieve the main dimensions of a part easily, for example in an electric motor or a reducer of a catalog, where you do not need the parameters of empty circular patterns and some secondary operations

I believe we have a need related to this idea request so adding it below:

We have an iAssembly consisting of two regular parts and one iPart.  The iPart has a configurable length (DIM_A) which makes it into several distinct iPart Members.  Each Member of the iAssembly then uses one of these iPart Members.  When we make a drawing of the iAssembly we want to make it parametric by showing a "Configuration Table" that gives the Assembly Member name, the iPart Member name it uses, and the iPart Member's length (DIM_A) for each row (iAssembly member) in the table.  We then want this member length dimension (DIM_A) to show up in the iAssembly Drawing view with the label "DIM_A" instead of a number so it can be referenced from the Configuration Table.

Unfortunately, we are finding that the dimensions (DIM_A) from the iPart table are not accessible within the iAssembly even as a reference parameter.  Without this feature it makes Parametric Drawings nearly impossible with Inventor software.  We desperately need the ability to reference/import parametric dimensions/parameters from an iPart into a configuration table for the parent iAssembly drawing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report