Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor2013 cannot edit existing features

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
not2013
506 Views, 11 Replies

inventor2013 cannot edit existing features

I keep finding it impossible to edit existing features from models/assy.  Even if I change only 1 dim in the sketch.  Once I close the sketch.  The feature fails.  I then try to edit the feature and I will see that the feature direction has changed, but invenotr will not allow me to switch it back.  Basicallly there is no editting power at all.

So you only way I have found to complete the job is to delete the feature and then put it back in.

Is this part of the new way of inventor 2013 or is this another time wasting glitch?

Also now when I edit a sketch I must delete all of the dims, then edit and then put all dims back.

Is this also part of the new way or the direction autodesk products are heading?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: not2013

Attach example files here that exhibit this behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12
Cadmanto

No, this is not the way autodesk products are heading.

What service pack are you running for 2013?

Is this behavoir happening with all files you are working on or just some?

Is anyone else in your department seeing this?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 12
not2013
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thank you for your reply. I just do not have time for all of this checking to see what is what.  I'm going to stop complaining since my invoice totals have almost double since changing from inv201 to inv2013.   I will smile when I make my invoices and when I deposit the checks. If it takes twice as long as it should to make simple changes, well thats not my fault. I bill by the hour.

In closing inventor2013 is the most unstable cad software I have ever used.

Have a great summer!

Message 5 of 12
not2013
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you for your concern, I simply do not have time to do all of the things that I want to do.  So do not have time to do send you guys anything.

Thank you and enjoy your summer.

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:
. If it takes twice as long as it should to make simple changes, well thats not my fault....

It is costing you to not get to the root of your problems.
Going back through your posts - it seems you have had trouble since the start (2.5 days to install?).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

@not2013 wrote:

I keep finding it impossible to edit existing features from models/assy.  Even if I change only 1 dim in the sketch.  Once I close the sketch.  The feature fails.  

Hi not2013,

It is difficult to tell, but it sounds like the problems you're having might be due to overly complex sketches. Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

Of course it could be an issue with your Inventor install, as JDMather mentioned, but we can not really know without you taking the time to help us help you by providing more information, example files, or simply some screen captures that illustrate the issues you are seeing.

But as Cadmanto stated, the behavior you are reporting is not correct, and you should be able to edit existing features using Inventor 2013 without issues.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 12
not2013
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

Hi not2013,

It is difficult to tell, but it sounds like the problems you're having might be due to overly complex sketches. Here's a link that might be helpful:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html

The sketches were not a problem before, so why are they now.  We changed from inv2011 to 2013, if I reverted back to 2011 I'm betting that they will be fine again. 

Of course it could be an issue with your Inventor install, as JDMather mentioned, but we can not really know without you taking the time to help us help you by providing more information, example files, or simply some screen captures that illustrate the issues you are seeing.

It could be install, it could be the other softwares used in coordination with inventor that are conflicting. Before switching from 2011 to 2013 this never happened.

But as Cadmanto stated, the behavior you are reporting is not correct, and you should be able to edit existing features using Inventor 2013 without issues.

Could I get this statment in a sworn affidavit?  I would find it more believable then.  You could be deceiving me or you could have been decieved into believing this when it is not true.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Thank you and best to you sir.

Message 9 of 12
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:

Could I get this statment in a sworn affidavit?  I would find it more believable then....

Not sure what value it would be - but if you can supply me with a file that exhibits the behavior you describe - I will verify the behavior or sign sworn affidavit that it is not normal behavior.
I can tell you that I have not seen any change in behavior of the manner you describe in words from 2011 - to 2013.  Based on prior experience with thousands of users - I would want to see actual files and workflow before making final assessment. 

Message 10 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:
...the behavior you are reporting is not correct, and you should be able to edit existing features using Inventor 2013 without issues.

@not2013 wrote:
Could I get this statment in a sworn affidavit?  I would find it more believable then.  You could be deceiving me or you could have been decieved into believing this when it is not true.

Hi not2013,

My apologies if I offended you with anything I typed earlier. I'm just here to help others, as others have helped me in the past. I'm not interested in deceiving anyone, nor am I interested in arguing with anyone.

We see many users come to this forum with misplaced frustrations based on a whole host of different assumptions about why things are working or not working as they expected, and we have been able to help many of them get past those issues by looking at the example files, screen shots, etc. So my reply to you was based on those past sucesses with helping others find solutions.

Also, just as an FYI, I do not work for Autodesk, and I am just on here as a volunteer, so my sworn affidavit wouldn't be worth anything anyway. Smiley Wink

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 11 of 12
not2013
in reply to: JDMather

It is costing you to not get to the root of your problems.

This is not true.  My invoices are way up since we switched to 2013.  I am making more money thanks to autodesk.

Much apprieciated!

Going back through your posts - it seems you have had trouble since the start (2.5 days to install?).

Yes we had trouble before the install of 2013 with 2011, now with 2013 it is twice the trouble to do things, but I don't care, I'm making more money now. Each later release of autodesk products being more problems and longer time to do the same tasks as it used to. I can only point out the truth in these maters as I need the time each day to complete my Task.  My deadline completion is at the worst in my entire engeering career.  Much of which is caused by autodesk changes in there products.  Sorry I cannot be of more help, but time does not allow me too.

THANK YOU

Message 12 of 12
not2013
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Yes an affidavit would show that you believe in what you say, it doesn't mater if you work for them or not.  You can make an affidaivd about anything you wish.  If your affidavit is found to be false, then you could be charge with a crime. Again it is simply a method of insuring only the truth is given. 

I have received incorrect advice from here more than once.  The last time before I started this post my mech2013 crashed 20 times in a roll from taking advice from this fourm. NOW THATS UNSTABLE. I don't thing that this advice was delbierate, I think that autodesk software is unstable.

I'm am not angry at you or anyone on this list. I love all people, but hate lies and false information as it is un-American.

I also would not believe that you are not receiving some compensation from autodesk unless it was in an affidavit.

Have a nice day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report