Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to extrude to a surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
karthur1
833 Views, 4 Replies

Trying to extrude to a surface

I was watching on of the "Sales" videos on Autodesk.com.  I saw them extruding a part surface to another surface of an imported part.  I have a need to do this.  When I try to extrude my part, I cant pick the surface that I need it to go to.

The video I am watching is here.  Its titled "Native Translators".  They show the surface being extruded at about the 0:53 mark.

The problem that I have is while working in the assembly, I double click on my part to edit it in the assembly.  Next I chose Extrude and "To Next", but I am unable to pick the surface I need it to go to.  The surface is in another part that is in the assembly.  The part I am trying to extrude is adaptive, like in the video.

I did notice that in the video, when they pick the "to Next", the add/cut/intersect is greyed out.

Any tips on how to make this happen?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: karthur1

It is not going to work unless you promote the surface from the second part into the part you are trying to edit (this is not Adaptivity).

Copy Object and promote the surface.

Attach your files here if you can't figure it out.

(the promoted surface must completely cap the extrusion)

It is hard to tell from the video, but it appears that they Copy Object (they don't show this) only part of the Floor Pan surfaces and Stitch them together in the Rest Block file (notice when the select only part of the surface highlights). They did a Copy Object only on the portion they needed to cap the extrusion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

In the image attached to previous post the Boundary Patches were to close the mounting holes so that the surface would completely cap the extrusion.  The holes could then be added in the solid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 5
karthur1
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Copying the object into the part was what I was missing. Now I have another q. 

In my iam, I have both parts.  If I move the parent part that holds the surface, the copied surface in the other part does not move.  Even though the copied surface is set as associative when I copied it, it still doesnt adjust if the other part is moved.  Is there a way to get it to adjust if the other part is moved?

I have attached my files here.  If I move the 120424_x409878......ipt in the assembly, the surface that I copied does not move in the "Lower Block Test" file.

Also I watched the video again.  In it they are using the constraint set and constraining together two UCSs.  What is the advantage of that?  I have never used that type constraint before.

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 5 of 5
karthur1
in reply to: karthur1

JD,

I looked at this again this morning and got the part to change when I moved the parent part that held the original surface.  I dont really understand why it does this, but here is what I found.

If I move (translate) the parent part, then the part will update automatically.  If I rotate the parent part, the part becomes out of date (update lightning bolt is on).  Clicking the lightning bolt does not make it update.  If after I rotate the part, then I move it, it will update.  Another way to get it to update after a rotate is to use the "Rebuild all" command.

Here is a video showing this.I dont know why Inventor treats a rotate differently than a linear move.

Still have not figured out why they were constraining with the UCS.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report