Inventor General

Valued Contributor
Message 1 of 5 (239 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sculpt Part composed of multiple Solids

239 Views, 4 Replies
02-28-2013 07:53 AM

Googled and searched the forums, didn't find what I'm looking for.

Is there a way to sculpt a part composed of multiple solid bodies without having to perform the sculpt command for each solid body? I want to use the same work plane to remove material from a part but the sculpt command only allows me to select one body at a time. This means after the first sculpt of one solid, I need to turn on the visibility of the consumed work plane and perform a sculpt on each of the remaining solids.

Not a huge issue, but in the future I may need to do a large number of these tasks.

I attached a sample file. I threw it together in 30 seconds so it's not the prettiest looking thing. I threw in a few sculpt commands to give you an idea of where I'm going with this.

*Pro
sbixler
Message 2 of 5 (209 Views)

Re: Sculpt Part composed of multiple Solids

03-01-2013 04:01 AM in reply to: j_berry

Would extrude do the job for you?  In your example it would, but I don't know how representative that is of your actual part.  I don't know of any way to make Sculpt or Split include more than one solid at a time, but Extrude can include as many as you want.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Valued Contributor
Message 3 of 5 (199 Views)

03-01-2013 05:39 AM in reply to: sbixler

I considered an extruded cut after I posted. Just tried it and it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm making parts relative to each other in an assembly. If the end of part A extends past the face of part B, I sculpt off the end of A to be flush with the face of B.

I projected an edge onto a work plane and created a sketch to extrude a cut, but the extrude command is not allowing me to select the sketch. This is the first time I've encountered this problem. Usually if the extrude commmand doesn't work it's because I forgot to close a loop or the sketch isn't visible, but in my attached part I have no idea why I can't select it.

I even made another sketch plane and projected some points from sketch2 to sketch3, thinking it had something to do with adaptivity, but it still will not select to exrude. I attached the IPT in question, pretty vanilla looking, nothing really proprietary.

*Expert Elite*
Message 4 of 5 (195 Views)

03-01-2013 05:53 AM in reply to: j_berry

j_berry wrote:

....but the extrude command is not allowing me to select the sketch. 

Works fine for me with your sketch.

Have you rebooted the computer?

Of course because you have multiple solid bodies you have to select one of the solids - so this doesn't solve your main problem.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Contributor
Message 5 of 5 (190 Views)

03-01-2013 06:12 AM in reply to: JDMather

I noticed the sketch lit up blue when I started the extrude command but I didn't think it was working because the OK button was greyed out.

JDMather wrote:

Of course because you have multiple solid bodies you have to select one of the solids - so this doesn't solve your main problem.

I can select the solids in one extrusion command and everything works out. Finished IPT attached for future reference. Thank you all for the replies.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube