Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save and Replace Component - files missing in list

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
tommy-z
781 Views, 8 Replies

Save and Replace Component - files missing in list

Hi

Trying to forget my past experiences with no or unhelpful replies (and fully aware that this opening does not necessarily improve my chances for this problem), I try my luck:

In an assembly I have 2 parts, in this case pipes (ie a cylinder).

These are named 'Pipe_100_07.ipt'.

I want to change them both, and in order not to "ruin" other assemblies which use the very same parts, I use the "Save and Replace Component" command.

When prompted for a new name i backspace past the 'copy' and the '07' and type in, say, '12' instead.

One of the pipes is now named 'Pipe_100_12.ipt' and the other is still named 'Pipe_100_07.ipt'

I then invoke the "Component Replace" command, but when the list of files, which I can chose from, comes up, the 'Pipe_100_12.ipt' is not listed, and can therefore not be selected.

If i type in the name in the "File Name"-field, ie 'Pipe_100_12' the "Type Completion/Selection" feature lists it corectly, and - of course - the file is there, verifiable via "Windows Explorer".

It makes no difference if I save the Assembly before trying the Replace Component or if I open and then save the new part (ie 'Pipe_100_12.ipt').

So, what gives, have anybody else experienced this problem, and - is there a solution.

NB: Running Inventor 2012 on Core I5-660 3.33GHz, 16GB Ram, Quadro FX 1800, Win7-64

Regards Tommy

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: tommy-z

Hi tommy-z,

This seems to be really inconstant with the Save and Replace Component  tool, and I've seen it save the files during the command some times and not other times. Just now as I tested this, I got the results you reported the first time, and then couldn't get it to not save the file when I tried again several times after that. I suspect it might be a bug in the command, causing it not to execute in full the first time it's run in the Inventor session, or have something to do with the save state of the overall assembly (or both). But I have never taken the time to investigate it thoroughly.

Typically, I just save the assembly when I see this happen and it forces the new part to be created. Although it seems like I once had to open the new part from the browser and save it explicitly, also.

I hope that helps a little,

Best of luck with all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Edit: I just read where you said: "It makes no difference if I save the Assembly before trying the Replace Component or if I open and then save the new part (ie 'Pipe_100_12.ipt')."

So my reply might fall under the unhelpful category, other than to say that I have seen this issue also.

Message 3 of 9
johnsonshiue

Tommy,

It is possible I did not follow the steps correctly. But, somehow I am not seeing the problem on my machine. If you use Inventor File Open dialog to find the newly created file, does it appear there?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 9
tommy-z

Hi,

Thanks to you, and to Curtis aboe, for very quick answers.

It's the same with the File Open dialog, the file does not list.

And, it doesn't matter if I, as I stated, open and save the part-file.

In order for the file to show in the various dialog's (i.e. File Open, Part Insert etc) I must cloes down and restart Inventor.

I even tried to use the "Find" command (in the File open Dialog), and it couldn't find it.

But the file is there, in the correct folder.

Strange!?!

Regards

Tommy  

Message 5 of 9
johnsonshiue

Tommy,

Based on your description, it sounds like account access is not working properly. There is a similar issue in IE8 on Windows7.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/account-permissions-do-not-seem-...

Do you have admin privilege to the machine you are running? If not, could you try the following workflow and see if it helps?

Close Inventor.

Right-click on the Inventor icon on the desktop -> Run as Admin.

Perform the Save and Replace Comp workflow. Do you see the newly saved component immediately?

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 9
tommy-z
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi again.

The plot thickens, but let me first thank you for your efforts.

I tried the Right-Click, Run as Administrator on the Inventor Icon.

First I saw that the ipj-file, which I was working happily with only a moment before, was not listed as the active project.

Let me first confess: I normally start Inventor by double-clicking on the relevant ipj-file, and this fires up Inventor, with the clicked ipj-file active. I dunno if this is 'comme il faut', but I find it the easier way to do it.

(The Project Workspace, with the relevant ipj-file in it, as well as several sub-folder with parts and assemblies, is located btw on a network server, where we have been assigned the letter Q: for all Inventor Data. )

Now (I'm at last arriving at the point) , when I did the Administrator thing, guess what: The Q: drive was no longer listed in the Manage/Projects/Browse - dialog, or in any other File Open etc doalog-box in Inventor.

The drive was perfectly mapped and available in any other program (Explorer, MS Words etc.) but, alas, not inside Inventor.

??? 

Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior you are seeing surprises me. The other thing to try is turning off "User Account Control" (UAC) and reboot. I am running out of ideas now unfortunately. I am forwarding it to experts in this area.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
tommy-z
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi

UAC has been turned off since the day I installed Win7-64

Thanks anyway

Regards

Tommy

Message 9 of 9
michael.huang

Hi Tommy,

I tried your steps to reproduce the file missing issue today but got no luck. May I have your help that you have a try on other machines and see if this is a special case on your machine? And I doubt if we did the same workflow as yours so whether it is possible for you to record a video for us?

Thanks!

-Michael

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report