Inventor General

Message 1 of 14 (1,117 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ribs on curved surface/ trimming to complex surface

1117 Views, 13 Replies
02-28-2013 08:42 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm designing a press for a skateboard similar to: Rib Press

I have the board modeled: (see attached)

Now what i want to do is generate those ribs as seen in the picture.

I tried creating a block that intersected with the board and tried to split the rib at the surface, but to no avail. I think the issue has something to do with the curve of the board in two directions, but i can't seem to get it right. Any assistance would be much appreciated! Thanks! 

if you are having trouble visuallizing what i'm asking about, look at this. I want to be able to figure out the exact shape of those center ribs to print and eventually cut out of wood. Thanks!

*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 2 of 14 (1,081 Views)

Re: Ribs on curved surface/ trimming to complex surface

03-01-2013 02:56 AM in reply to: sjrand96

i can't open the file as it's 2013 (and I'm on 2012) - it helps to include your version anytime you post a file.

There are a few ways to do this and I had a quick mess about, which probably isn't the most obvious, but seemed to work.  See the attached parts:

board is obviously the board

rib is a part containing a number of solid-bodies for each rib.  I created 1 rib and patterened it to give top and bottom ribs along the board at even spacing.  I then used the "derive" function to bring in the board file as a new solid body and moved it into place with move-body.  By using "combine" as a boolean operation to cut the board (using it as the toolbody) for each rib-member I got the cut shape into each rib.  All that's needed now is to use "make components" to spawn a separate ipt for each rib to create a drawing of each.  If that makes sense.

You could do this all in 1 part but I thought it probably made sense having a separate board part to all the ribs as I'm guessing you want a clean/separate board.ipt to go into an assembly.

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
*Expert Elite*
Message 3 of 14 (1,071 Views)

03-01-2013 05:48 AM in reply to: sjrand96

In addition to the solution that was posted -

I noticed that your Sketch1 was not constrained or making use of obvious symmetry about the origin.

You might read this paper

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Distinguished Mentor
Message 4 of 14 (1,066 Views)

03-01-2013 06:14 AM in reply to: sjrand96

Have you tried using the copy object command to convet the face into a surface which will allow you to split usuing a complex surface?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
Message 5 of 14 (1,061 Views)

03-01-2013 06:35 AM in reply to: swhite

swhite wrote:

Have you tried using the copy object command to convet the face into a surface which will allow you to split usuing a complex surface?

The Derived Component method works well.
If I were to do something similar to "Copy Object, I would do Thicken/Offset as surface zero distance as that technique is associative.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Expert Elite*
sam_m
Message 6 of 14 (1,054 Views)

03-01-2013 07:20 AM in reply to: swhite

I originally thought of suggesting either splitting or extruding to surfaces but, thinking about it, it:

1) involves deriving the surfaces into a rib part(s) and if you're doing that then you might as well derive the solid board part and use that as a boolean (as my example)

2) split with a surface needs the surface completely intersecting the part - so means additional extend-face commands to ensure the board's top/bottom face clears the rib parts (or you need the board's side-wall surfaces too, and if you're doing that then might as well use the solid).

3) extrude-to could be an option but using the extended-face option in the extrude dialog - not necessarily obvious to someone new to surfaces, I guess...

so, both are a possibly a little more confusing/work than just deriving the board as a solid :smileywink:

----------
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
but please understand that the solution may not be the answer you're wanting to hear...

If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love :smileyvery-happy:

Lithium - helping nntp users with mania, depression and headaches
Message 7 of 14 (1,026 Views)

03-02-2013 05:50 PM in reply to: sam_m

thanks so much for the multiple pieces of excellent advice| 

Distinguished Mentor
Message 8 of 14 (949 Views)

03-04-2013 02:44 PM in reply to: JDMather

Copy object is associative as well if you uncheck the delete original and check the associative box.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
Message 9 of 14 (934 Views)

03-04-2013 05:29 PM in reply to: swhite

Hmmm, I missed the Asssociative toggle, but I just tried on a cylindrical face and it is unavailable.

Must be usable in some case.

Can you post a example file with associative?

Distinguished Mentor
Message 10 of 14 (896 Views)

03-05-2013 06:42 AM in reply to: JDMather

Some associatives only work with crtain types of faces. The composite may not be able to be set as associative on some shapes while the surface command may allow you to set it as associative. Plus for some reason before 2010 version you could set almost all of them as associative. Used that frequently to model ribs to complex shapes. Since 2011 they have made such more difficult to keep associative. But one can always redefine although its a pain to have to remember to do that when the base object is changed.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube