Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove part of solid body after split

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jaredemery2977
3981 Views, 14 Replies

Remove part of solid body after split

I am trying to make a nest block to capture the contour of a door trim part. I have used the split command to trim to the part surface but it literally splits the block where the part goes through it. Now I need to remove the upper part of the block. I have tried extruding to next command but it gets errors. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? Below is a link to the block file. Thanks! https://www.sendthisfile.com/1ez3spitK3CKkVYEJh58LluP

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: jaredemery2977

Can you attach the ipt file here?

Did you Split Face or did you Split Part?

Did you Create New Solid in the Split command?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
jaredemery2977
in reply to: JDMather

I tried to attach it here but it is too large. I did a trim solid and no I did not create a new solid, that is not an option for trim solid.

Message 4 of 15
JDMather

Find the red End of Part marker in the browser.
(End of Folded on sheet metal parts EOF)
Drag the red EOP to the top of the browser hiding all features.

Save the file with the EOP in a rolled up state.

Right click on the file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

If it is still too large then post at Autodesk360.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
JDMather

@jaredemery2977 wrote:

...that is not an option for trim solid.

I said Split, not trim.  And of course it is an option or I would not have mentioned it.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
jaredemery2977

The zipped file is 6.3Mb.... still too large.

Attached is a screenshot of the Split command. Am I in the wrong command?

Message 7 of 15

FYI - I got to this point by editing the nest block in the assembly file and using copy object to copy the panel & trim pieces into the nest block file. Then I used the split/trim to attempt to remove the upper half of the block cutting it at the panel & trim surfaces. I hope this helps.

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

OK, I got the file but I want to work on the imported geometry before moving on to the problem description.

Import Problems.PNG

Quality Check.PNG

Also - you should indicate what version of Inventor you are using.

And - I just realized that I got terms mixed up that Inventor uses within the Split dialog box.  I inadvertently added to confusion.  Back in a while with a solution.

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
jaredemery2977

Thank you! I would like to know exactly what needed to be done to the inported surfaces as well if you dont mind. I have 7 more parts that will need this same type of operation. I am using Inventor 2013.

Message 10 of 15
WHolzwarth

That's been no easy task, but I think, it's ok this way.

Only STEP can be done, because of filesize limits (even with EOP up)

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
jaredemery2977
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Walter,

Thats exactly the output I need. Can you please explain the procedure? Any thing that can be done different to make it simpler? I have 7 more of these to do and would rather not have to rely on forums to do my work for me. If I sent you a link could you upload the ipt file? Thanks!

Jared

Message 12 of 15
WHolzwarth

Well, Jared. The main approach is only using part faces, that are in direct contact with the fixture. Copy object can do this.

But this sample is tricky. Lots of other issues arose, and needed special remedies. Take a look at my feature tree.

I'd like to add a personal comment:

Meanwhile I'm behind 65 of age, still hoping dementia is not catching me for the next upcoming years. I think, that I can do some stuff, that not everyone can solve. But it's crazy to see, that I'm under-employed, even with interesting hour rates.

Therefore, if anyone is interested in more: wh@holzwarth-cad.de.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
jaredemery2977
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Walter,

If only I could read German I may understand your screenshot a little better.  I would like to know how to do this on my own and do not think my boss would be interested in outsourcing the work. Can you point me to maybe some tutorials that will help me understand the procedures and working with surfaces? One question about your screenshot, how do you get the hole information to show on the screen? ie. (1/4-20 UNC x 0.55 in ThreadDepth....)Thanks!

Jared

Message 14 of 15
JDMather

Tools>Application Options

Extended Info.png

Where are you located - this is advanced stuff and takes a lot of work to master.

I am working on an AU proposal, I would like to use this as an example if you can give permission (it would be months before I could give you a step-by-step document)

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
WHolzwarth

Jared, I regret to say, that there's no straightahead way of doing tasks like that. Especially when you have to do a negative contour for more than one part, you can run into lots of problems.

It's a combination of skill, some knowledge, trial-and-error and luck.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report