Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project files vs assembly files

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
KevinMacDonald
2060 Views, 1 Reply

Project files vs assembly files

Hello,

I am deep into my first Inventor project. I am approaching the point where I would like to make a comprehensive set of drawings with bills of material etc. I have discovered that all this time I have actually been working in one big assembly file. My main project file is NOT a project file (so I have discovered). It is a *.iam file. 

So, my question is, should I create a project file, and then add my main assembly to it? Should one normally create a new Project file for each new job? What does one gain by doing this versus simply using the *.iam file?

Thanks

Inventor 2013
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: KevinMacDonald

it sounds like you just need to familiarise yourself with the terms a little more.

you will indeed have an active project file (.ipj)

you can set a particular project to active depending on how you manage your drawings. (by job number, by client, by standard set of drawings etc).

there are pros and cons for various decisions. lots of discussions about this but it depends on what you are dealing with. let us know and you will get lots of advice.

the project file lurks in the background and tells inventor where to find important information. inventor will not run without it so you definately have it, but likely it is just set to the default configuration that was created when you installed the software.

your assembly (.iam) file contains your geometry... ie lots of parts and sub assemblies.

all of those will no doubt need to be organised in a practical way for you firstly, and for your downstream departments to manage and build...

organised within the top level assembly, and organised on the server where you are saving the files.

these are all topics that you will learn to deal with as i am sure you have already bugun to. there is lots of help in the wiki help. any questions just search and you will find many others with similar questions. if not specifically then just ask and we will help.

these are general kinda vague notes i know so i apologise. each topic goes on a bit so have a look around. look into the inbuilt training resources and learning aids available from within inventor. (se snapshot for 2 quick help locations).

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report