Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass Properties of a Part Annotated in a Drawing Not Updating

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
danbanach
3223 Views, 9 Replies

Mass Properties of a Part Annotated in a Drawing Not Updating

In Inventor 2011 I cannot get the Mass of a part to update in a text field in a drawing to automatically update. I did the following.

1. Create a cube
  2. In the Application Option dialog box > General tab turn on “Update physical properties on save > Parts and Assemblies”
  3. Save the part file
  4. Go to the iProperties to make sure the physical properties are updated
  5. Create a drawing and retrieve the dimension(s)
  6. Use the text command to create text that uses the Mass of the model
  7. In the drawing change the model dimension, the drawing is updated to reflect the new dimension
  8. Save the drawing and since there is a change to the part file save it as well
  9. Notice the text that is equal to Mass did not change, even though the mass has changed
  10. Click on the tab of the part file (don’t do anything else to the part)
  11. Click on the tab of the drawing file
  12. Notice the text that is equal to Mass changes

Using the 3D Annotation command that allows you to annotate the Mass from Labs does not update the mass either.

Thoughts?

Dan

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
BMiller63
in reply to: danbanach

Probably not the answer you're after, but this is how I'd do it. Although I agree that i's kind of a gotcha that should be addressed in the way that it does not update the mass automatiaclly.

1. Create a cube
  2. In the Application Option dialog box > General tab turn on “Update physical properties on save > Parts and Assemblies”
  3. Save the part file
  4. Go to the iProperties to make sure the physical properties are updated
  5. Create a drawing and retrieve the dimension(s)
  6. Use the text command to create text that uses the Mass of the model
  7. In the drawing change the model dimension, the drawing is updated to reflect the new dimension
  8. Switch to the Part file, click the Manage tab and click the Update Mass button.
  9. Save the drawing and since there is a change to the part file save it as well
  10. Notice the text that is equal to Mass did not change, even though the mass has changed
  11. Click on the tab of the part file (don’t do anything else to the part)
  12. Click on the tab of the drawing file
  13. Notice the text that is equal to Mass changes

Edit: I just noticed step 2, which I agree should force the update, so I think you're right in expecting this to work with our my step 8.

Message 3 of 10
karthur1

In order for the mass of the part to update, you have to either save the part or do like Bmiller said.  The thing that I just noticed is that when you make a change to the part, then go back to the idw the mass for the part says "N/A".  Now if I save the idw, Inventor wants to save the part as well.

Strange that it saves the part, but this save does not update the mass properties like saving the part from the ipt environment.  Not sure why it acts like this, but it now seems to me that it should update the mass in the idw after the save.

Toggling between the part and the idw does not change it here.

Message 4 of 10
jimchest

It would be nice if someone from Autodesk could fix this issue???????

Seems like a "No Brainer"

Message 5 of 10
hhtool
in reply to: jimchest

Hey, Did you ever find a fix for this issue? I have just about had it with Inventor's issues..... These programmers need to get it together!

Message 6 of 10
robbedoes18
in reply to: hhtool

Things haven't changed since. 

Message 7 of 10
AMC-weve
in reply to: robbedoes18

And it is still not fixed!!!

Message 8 of 10
mdavis22569
in reply to: AMC-weve

@AMC-weve

this is an old post brought back ...

where are you having this issue?  Can you post a screencast of what is happening?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
AMC-weve
in reply to: mdavis22569

I'll trie to explain:

I have main assembly with multiple subassemblies. The subassemblies are build around a skeleton.ipt , ....

When I was detailing the drawings and added the bom, I've noticed that the skeleton.ipt was showing in the bom. Therefore I changed the status, from skeleton.ipt, from normal to reference. And saved all files.

In the bom the mass property didn't change. In the iproperties IN the subassembly the correct mass property is shown. But when I look in the iproperties from the subassembly in the main assembly, the wrong mass property is shown????

I've now made a material "skel" with density 0.

Working with Inventor Prof 2015 SP2 update 1

(I miss Pro/Engineer)

Message 10 of 10
ockertkritz

Hi

See this:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2014...

Had the same issue, you simply have to tick "Update physical properties on save" under Application option > General tab

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums