Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Library assembly always referencing to save

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
thomas188
383 Views, 4 Replies

Library assembly always referencing to save

We have an issue that I'm trying to work on and get a solution to move forward on a current project.  Previously when using a pneumatic cylinder, the procedure has been to set the stroke length as a permanent extrusion and not have it flexible.  I have created a few new cylinders that have flexible strokes, and then have positions set up as well.  We want these cylinders to be available for all projects and to be uneditable, essentially we need them in the library.  What is happening is when we place this part from the library and make it flexible in a project the assembly becomes dirty and is requesting to save the file before checking the main assembly back into the vault.  What am I doing wrong?  Is it not possible to have a library assembly file that is flexible in another project? 

Something similar to this website: http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/0536-Represen53...

The only thing is having those hydraulics as library parts.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
thomas188
in reply to: thomas188

No love?

Message 3 of 5
dan_inv09

I don't think it is the flexibility, I have assemblies of nameplates with the fasteners to attach them in my library that seem to get dirty all the time - and we're not even using Vault, so the issue might be much bigger than you think.

Message 4 of 5
thomas188
in reply to: dan_inv09

What is your work around for them when they turn dirty?  Are they library parts?

Message 5 of 5
SKinzel

In our library we have several IPTs and IAMs that get used in several different assemblies.  I've noticed that when I insert them sometimes they show as "dirty" which would trigger a "do you want to save" dialog on closing even though the file may have just been saved.

I don't know how or why they get to this state but the only thing I've found to get them in a clean state is to open them from within the assembly (double click on them) and then hit the SAVE button and then hit the RETURN button to get back to the main assembly.  This sets them to a clean state.  I don't know why this works since you can't modify files in the library but it does not yell at me when I hit the SAVE button.  I've developed the habit of looking at the state of files when I check them back in and if a library file shows as dirty then I go through this process so as to not get the "do you want to save even though you just saved this file" dialog when I close a file.

I don't know what effect doing this would have on a flexible part.  If the flexible part is in a different "length of stroke" would it then screw up the other assemblies that reference the part?

Stuart Kinzel
Inventor 2013-64bit, HP EliteBook8740w Intel Core i5CPU 2.67 GHz
8GB memory
Windows 7 64bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report