Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep drawing view annotations fixed relative to geometry

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
DRoam
2823 Views, 6 Replies

Keep drawing view annotations fixed relative to geometry

I'm sure this has been asked many times but none of the queries I used brought up a similar question. My issue is that I recently spent a lot of time annotating a detail view with leaders attached to geometry, leaders not attached to geometry, and sketches constrained to geometry projected from the view. I made some modifications to the model which didn't re-locate any of the components that I'd annotated, but somehow the detail view got shifted, and all of my leaders are pointing to the wrong place and the parts of my sketch that weren't constrained to geometry are in the wrong place as well. Some of the leaders seem to have held to ther posts better than others, but for the most part my annotations are worthless and will need to be re-done.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone know of a way to prevent it in the future? Any suggestions are appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
graemev
in reply to: DRoam

Did you have a drawing view selected when you crerated the sketch for the annotations?  If not, the sketch is only for the sheet at large and will not travel with the view, nor respond to changes in geometry within the view.

For sketches created when a view is highlited, the view geometry becomes "projectable" and all sketched elements will move and update with the view.  For annotations not touching projected geometry directly, I prefer to place a "sketch only" point that is dimensioned back to some relevant projected geometry so that any updates to the geometry will affect the otherwise unattached annotations.  It's a bit of a pain setting it up, but less of a pain than repositioning all the annotations.

Message 3 of 7
jeanchile

Was the detail view "attached"? Also, there are settings under document settings for drawings where you can preserve orphaned annotations and specify dimension text locations, have you tried those?

We've had similar problems in the past (even had AD log a bug fix at one point... which hasn't been fixed of course) but we have had better success by playing with the two items I mentioned above. Good luck!
Inventor Professional
Message 4 of 7
DRoam
in reply to: jeanchile

Thanks for the reply, jeanchile. Can you explain what you mean by having the detail view "attached"? I'm not sure I'm familiar with this.

No, I didn't know about the "perserve orphaned annotations" option, that might solve some issues--actaully thought I haven't noticed any issues of annotations disappearing, just moving to the wrong place. But thanks for the tip!

Message 5 of 7
BLHDrafting

Try this blog entry.

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2013/01/attachment-to-detail-its-the-little-things.html

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 6 of 7
jeanchile

The blog post above shows the "attachment" of the detail views. This picture shows the two setting we adjusted to get results that were better:

DwgDocSettings.png

We still have dimensions moving all over the place when we change something and we still have AD telling us that they have logged the issue, but we still continue to have problems. At least now when our models change, some of the dimensions stick around for us to re-attach.

Good Luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 7 of 7
DRoam
in reply to: jeanchile

I don't know exactly why my detail views moved in the first place so I can't test it, but it sounds like the detail attachment option is exactly what I need. That combined with the options jeanchile pointed out should save me a lot of drawing view headaches. Thanks for the tips!! Thanks also to graemev for the tip about constraining sketches with sketch-only geometry, that will be useful as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report