Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor stopped accepting text shortcuts (i.e.: "e" for extrude)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
michaelmcgovern
810 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor stopped accepting text shortcuts (i.e.: "e" for extrude)

Until a couple weeks ago, I relied on several text shortcuts in Inventor (2012 Professional with SP1).  I don't know exactly what they're called, but for exemple I'd press "e" after creating a sketch and the extrude command would begin.  Also if I pressed "h", the hole command would begin.  These functions stopped working suddenly.

Now, whenever I press a letter key during Inventor operation, text appears at the bottom of the screen "Command alias input: [key]"  (See attached screenshot).

Any input would be greatly appriciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I think that you want to disable the command Alias input box:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0285-Work_Env285/0303-Customiz30...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 7

That option is disabled in my Application Options.  If I check the "Command Alias Input" box, this causes a prompt to pop up when you start typing.  It appears to be very related to this, but that option is currently turned off and I'm still having problems with activating my shortcuts.

Message 4 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: michaelmcgovern

This has happened to a number of Inventor 2012 users, me included.  You will have to re-establish those shortcuts by Tools > Options > Customize > Keyboard.  When you've got them back the way you want, Export to a location you can remember.  If (when) it happens again, you just have to Import to get them all back.  I still have no idea what causes this, nothing I can relate it to.  It seems random, and usually only a subset of the keyboard shortcuts are lost.

Message 5 of 7
michaelmcgovern
in reply to: SBix26

Good to hear I am not the only one.  I'll give that a try.  Just found another feature that has stopped working:  When I am sketching shapes (rectangle, line, circle) the ability to type a dimension after the first click no longer exists.  I have to draw a shape (2 clicks) then use the dimension command to add the first dimension to the shape.  There are a few other shortcuts that have stopped working but they slip my mind right now.

It's as if somebody turned off every feature that speeds up Inventor and makes repetitive tasks easier. I feel like there should be a checkbox somewhere that reads something like "disable all shortcuts" that I have to uncheck...

Message 6 of 7
bobvdd
in reply to: michaelmcgovern

What happens if you reset your shortcut keys. Don't you get them back as one would expect?

You can do this in the Customize dialog > Keyboard tab > Reset all keys button

The dimension problem could be related to the following checkbox that is turned off:

Application Options > Sketch tab > Heads up display settings button > Create dimensions when inputting dimension value.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 7 of 7

Try this:

1. Open Language bar (in Win7) & change language  to EN (United States)

2. Go to Inv2013: Tools, Customize, Keyboard and select Reset All Keys, Ok

It works for me!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report