Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor PC Opinions

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
cmiller
642 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor PC Opinions

Trying to get a pc build together so we can upgrade our 6 y/o desktops. We plan to buy something that can hold us for 4-5 years. I am partial to dells so that is where I am looking.

Here is what I've come up with:

XPS8300

Intel Core i-7-2600(3.4GHz)

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM @ 1333MHz (4 @ 4GHz)

1.5TB Performance Raid 0 (2 x 750GB SATA 3GB/s 7200 RPM)

Single AMD Radeon HD 6870 (1GB)

This is basically a home PC. My argument to our IT is that we don't need high end workstations or Open GL video cards anymore. Am I right in telling them this? I've read many people are switching from high cost workstations to high end gaming computers and getting great results.

Thanks for any input.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: cmiller

my 2 suggestions would be to go with solid state hard drives (at least 1 to put the OS and Inventor on) then ditch the ATI card and go with an NVIDIA video card (like the GTX580 or similar)

Based on some Inventor benchmark tests done a few months ago the NVIDIA cards out performed the ATI cards across the board.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 10
cmiller
in reply to: mcgyvr

I can't get them to agree with the cost of a SSD.

The highest GeForce card I could get in the configuration was a GT 530. Would have had to step up to a Alien to get anything better.

I've been pushing for new desktops for almost 10months. I think right now that I have approval, I'll have to go with the PC I have configured.

We are only 3 people in our eng dept and upper management is tight on the pennies.

Message 4 of 10
sam_m

@cmiller wrote:

I'll have to go with the PC I have configured.

Then why did you ask?  I bit stupid to ask our thoughts on your proposed pc spec if you can't change it despite our advice...

If Dell can't do a better GeForce than the 530 then I'd look elsewhere (despite your previous comment about liking Dell - if they don't offer it then you're kinda stuck).

ATI was always joked as standing for "Always Trashes Inventor" due to their reduced performance and stability - I believe their stability has improved but not really their performance.  Personally would look at GeForce 570 or 580 atm.

as for the SSD - read something like Toms Hardware about SSD performance with Windows and applications - an amazing difference.  A 120gb SD is about £125 ($150?) is all that's needed - if you work over a network then that's all you need, but if you work locally then it's probably worth slapping in a cheap 500gb drive for data.  (not to mention the still massively inflated costs of mechanical hard drives atm due to the floods, so in comparison SSD drives are far cheaper than they used to be)

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 5 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: sam_m

The problem is you are partial to Dells. Maybe try sourcing a computer from somewhere else.

I really like cyberpowerpc.com. Excellent company

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 6 of 10
cmiller
in reply to: sam_m

@sam_m wrote:

@cmiller wrote:

I'll have to go with the PC I have configured.

Then why did you ask?  I bit stupid to ask our thoughts on your proposed pc spec if you can't change it despite our advice...

I guess you are right. It's better than what our IT guy wanted to give us and the company I work for isn't one to freely spend $2k+ for a desktop. I guess what I should have said is "This is the best I can get for the money I'm allowed. What are your thoughts?"

"The problem is you are partial to Dells. Maybe try sourcing a computer from somewhere else."

You are right. But with our account with Dell, it's quicker and easier. I'd have to do tons of paperwork and there's so much that goes into getting a new vendor on our list it's unreal. Total PITA.

I do appreciate all the comments, good or bad. Atleast now we'll have something better than what we have and we can actually upgrade the hardware later if needed. The systems we have now are 6 years old and maxed out. We can't upgrade anything in them.

Message 7 of 10
mflayler2

When you price up a Dell CAD machine you should NOT use the their home PC line of XPS.  You need to configure their Workstation class (Precisions).  They have options for the better cards, processors, and drives.  If you didn't see the option for a XEON processor or Quadro Card, you are in the wrong configurator.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 8 of 10
mcgyvr
in reply to: mflayler2

Yep.. if you are forced to drink the Dell kool-aid then at least start with their "small office business" computers.. Prices should be similar

Message 9 of 10
mflayler2

Also if your cycle time on PCs will continue to be 6 years, then your IT staff needs their head examined.  Engineering PCs should turn over every 2-3 years and this can keep the cost down on your initial purchase and your old box can then run down the chain in the company.  If they are buying brand new machines for every secretary instead of using old engineering PCs, then they don't fully understand workstation engineering PCs.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 10 of 10
cmiller

@mflayler2 wrote:

Also if your cycle time on PCs will continue to be 6 years, then your IT staff needs their head examined.  Engineering PCs should turn over every 2-3 years and this can keep the cost down on your initial purchase and your old box can then run down the chain in the company.  If they are buying brand new machines for every secretary instead of using old engineering PCs, then they don't fully understand workstation engineering PCs.

I understand you logic.  Before 2008 the big corporation that I worked for did this. We upgraded every 3 years no questions asked. Those PCs were then sent to someone else that only did data entry. In the middle of 08, that portion of the company was sold and was bought by an individual. Things were tough for the 1st 2 years, but we've since bounced back.

Our IT department is 1 person, and our Eng dept is 3 people. IT is deadset on watching $$ when buying PCs and for some reason is very partial to CDW and HP Compac.

This compnay now is all about the $$, and if it's not broke then why fix it. Hence the reason for taking so long for us to get new PCs. We are doing what we can to make the PCs work, but it's now becoming a drag on the systems. Even Autocad is locking up at various times. It's so bad my boss brought his home laptop, which is an XPS and runs INV12 very well, to work so he doesn't have to deal with the lock-up issues.

I truely understand what you all are saying, but I've been at this for 10 months and I finally got approval. And that was only because of the cost. Anything more expensive and I probably would have gotten shot down.

Yes, that is how we are taken care of.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report