Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014/Windows 8 choppy pan and orbit

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
dasan.costandi
2178 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor 2014/Windows 8 choppy pan and orbit

Inventor 2014 refuses to pan/orbit using middlemouse. Even when using F2/F4 shortcuts or pan/orbit tools, movement is very delayed and makes Inventor unusable. I'm not getting any crashes, freezes, or errors; just performance issues. (possibly driver problems?)

Though my laptop isn't super high-end, it definitely has no problem running games with higher min. requirements than Inventor.

Gen. Specs:

Windows 8 (64bit)

i7-4700MQ

Nvidia GTX 765

8Gb Ram

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadmanto
in reply to: dasan.costandi

Dasan,

Welcome to the forum.

I would definately check to see if your drivers (specifically video) are up to date.  I would also check your mouse movement settings to see if those are causing this as well.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 10

Hi dasan.costandi,

If you go to the Tools tab > Application Options > Display tab and make a note of your current settings (in case you want to set them back to what they are) for these two options, does adjusting them help?:

1. View transition time (seconds)
  2. Minimum frame rate (Hz)

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 10

Thanks Scott,

That was the first thing I checked; all my drivers are up to date and the middle button is definitely set to "middle mouse" mode. The cursor changes into the pan icon when I click middle button, except nothing else happens. Same deal with orbit mode, although scrolling to zoom has no issues.

Curtis,

I tried fiddling with the settings you suggested, but I haven't noticed any changes to my problem.

I'm not sure what it could be since people with a similar problem seem to change a few mouse settings and it's solved. Thanks for the input however.

-Dasan

Message 5 of 10
mcgyvr

You just forgot to plug in the space navigator/space pilot. Smiley Tongue

I thought they removed pan/orbit years ago since we all have 3d controllers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 10

It'd be nice if I had a 3D mouse, but I'm only using a wireless logitech mouse Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 10

Well, I found the solution Smiley Happy

Turns out it was a directX issue. Apparently directx 11 isn't backwards compatible and Inventor 2014 absolutely requires directx 9 or 9c to run.

I just rolled back to 9c and everything works great Smiley Very Happy

No wonder my slightly older workstation had no problem with 2014.

Thanks for the suggestions however!

Message 8 of 10
Cmihovs

Yes

I am having the same issues, but Windows 7 has DirectX 11 built into it, and there is no way you can downgrade?

And I dont understand why would Autodesk built a software that is not compatible with the latest OS and hardware.

Also run into an issue when I went to open subassembly and there was nothing displayed in the model space. I hit zoom all, F2, noothing worked. Then i clicked on a component in the design tree and an item was highlighted.

So I highlighted all the components in the design tree and my whole subassembly was highlighted in the model space. As soon as i click anywhere in the model space the model disappears.

Seem that there are major issues with the graphics card drivers.

By the way Im runninf

Quadro K5000M on Dell M 6700 with 16Gb of RAM.

Message 9 of 10
xAragornx
in reply to: Cmihovs

I had the exact same issue and as others stated, I guess this is a DirectX 11 issue. Unfortunatly, installing directX 9 is not really an option in windows 8. The way I got things to work for me was to have Invertor run in Vista compatibility mode. The was you set that is by going to %programsfiles%\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Bin and right clicking inventor.exe and select properties. Select the compatibility tab and check off "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows Vista SP2. This worked for me and I have smooth zooming, panning, and  orbit now.

Message 10 of 10
xAragornx
in reply to: xAragornx

Nevermind on my post above. Setting compatibility mode did NOT fix my issue. I was using an IBL background (i think two lights). I changed back to default background in the view  menu and everything seems to be silky smooth again. Helpfully this helps others!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report