Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Material Styles Library

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
junibird
1096 Views, 28 Replies

Inventor 2014 Material Styles Library

I want to make a change to a material within Inventor 2014.  I seem to be able to make the change in a document but I cannot save the change back to the library.  I've looked at my project file and it's et to "Use Style Library=Read-Write".  I've been able to save dimension styles and parts list styles back to those particular style libraries.  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark Joyner

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
junibird
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

1.  When I check the folder and file I have full access.

2.  No icon next to the library.

3.  The material is existing.  I'm trying to revise the material density.  This material is in the Mics. category but it isn't a part of the document materials.  I can add it to the document materials and edit everything but I still cannot save the changes back to the library because I don't have the option.  I've attached a screen shot of the material browser just in case there's something I'm missing.

Message 22 of 29
junibird

1.  When I check the folder and file I have full access.

2.  No icon next to the library.

3.  The material is existing.  I'm trying to revise the material density.  This material is in the Mics. category but it isn't a part of the document materials.  I can add it to the document materials and edit everything but I still cannot save the changes back to the library because I don't have the option.  I've attached a screen shot of the material browser just in case there's something I'm missing.

Message 23 of 29
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: junibird

Click on the "Home" icon & then the dropdown arrow under Home so that you see someting like the attached. Do you see any icons then ? If all is OK there you should be able to drag from the Document materials to the desired category.

Matl Libraries.PNG

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 24 of 29
junibird

All of the materials have the lock next to them (see attached).  I need to have that removed from the Bigge Material Library but I'm not sure how.  I've checked everything and it seems that I have full administrative rights for everything.

Message 25 of 29
ChrisMitchell01

Yes, that's your problem. You need to find the full path to that Bigge .adsklib file & ensure you have write access. If it's part of a vaulted folder then you need to have it checked out to you.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 26 of 29
junibird

The library is vaulted and I can check it out but the lock still shows up in the material browser.  I always thought that if a file could be checked out it could be revised.  Is my thinking incorrect or have I missed something?  If I go to the file in Windows explorer, right click on it, and go to properties, it shows that it is not write protected.  Is there something else that I need to check?

Message 27 of 29
ChrisMitchell01

You might need to exit Inventor, check out that file & then restart Inventor.

Do you have write access for the complete folder structure down to where that adsklib file is ? Can you create a new file next to it & then edit it ?

-Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 28 of 29
junibird

Okay, I did exit Inventor and restarted and still I have the lock.  I checked my user account on this computer and I'm listed as an administrator which has full control.

Message 29 of 29
junibird

Okay, I finally figured this one out.  It seems that our previous cad manager forgot to change the file path within the project file.  It was still pointing to the old 2013 folder.  I changed it to point to the new 2014 folder and now I can make the changes that I need.  Thanks for everyones help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report