Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Material Styles Library

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
junibird
1102 Views, 28 Replies

Inventor 2014 Material Styles Library

I want to make a change to a material within Inventor 2014.  I seem to be able to make the change in a document but I cannot save the change back to the library.  I've looked at my project file and it's et to "Use Style Library=Read-Write".  I've been able to save dimension styles and parts list styles back to those particular style libraries.  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark Joyner

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Cadmanto
in reply to: junibird

Mark,

When you do try to modify your material library, do you have your master project file set to read/write?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 29
mdavis22569

If you go to the drawing that has it ... go to Manage is the Save Available under the Styles and Standards? This should update If not go to the part that you want to update ...and go to manage again on the file just opened and hit Update ..then it should do it

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 29
junibird
in reply to: Cadmanto

When you say master do you mean the active project file?  I'm pretty sure that it's read/write.  I've attached a screen shot of the Projects dialog box.

Message 5 of 29
Cadmanto

Yes, basically.  Have you ever added new/custom material to the material library before and you are just now running into this issues, or is this your first attempt.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 29
junibird

It is my first attempt to save modifications of a material back to the styles library.  I thought that since I could save dimensional, part list etc. modifications back to their respective styles libraries, that this would be the same.  When I click on save I see the materials that I've modified but I only get My Favorites to choose from instead of the Bigge Material Library.

Message 7 of 29
Cadmanto

Since you have never done it before, take a look at these threads and see if they help you.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Add-material-to-custom-library/td-p/3764600

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Adding-material-and-texture-to-material-library/td-p/...

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 29
junibird

I've attached a couple of screen shots.  One is the update style dialog box.  You'll see that I can choose to update multiple libraries.  The second is the save styles to style library dialog box.  You'll see that my only option is Favorites.  Why is this my only option?

Message 9 of 29
mrattray

Is the .adsklib file itself set to read-only? Do you have permission in Windows to write to that file/location?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 29
junibird
in reply to: mrattray

I checked the file and it was read only.  When I remove the read only attribute from the file I still get the same options in Inventor.

Message 11 of 29
mrattray

Did you close and reopen Inventor in between clearing the read-only attribute and checking if you could save the styles?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 12 of 29
junibird

Yes and it still has the same problem.

Message 13 of 29
mrattray

Is it on a network location, or local on your machine?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 29
junibird

It's on my local machine and it also resides in our Vault.

Message 15 of 29
mrattray

I'm not familiar with Vault, especially when it comes to design data. You may have to check out the file? I don't know, hopefully someone more familiar with Vault can chime in.
Vault is something you should have mentioned in your original post.
So, are you trying to write to the local copy, and then you back the file up in vault? Which location does your project file point to?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 16 of 29
junibird

This is the whole problem.  I should at least be given the option of updating the material libraries from a file as I can update a file from those libraries.  If I'm given the option then all I need to do is check the library out of Vault and check it back in.

Message 17 of 29
Cadmanto

Vault brings a whole new perspective to this.  Since you have it on your local as just a read only, and if this library file is in the vault, do you have admin privelages to the vault?  I say this because I am guessing this file is in a location within the vault that only admins can get to.  If you are, take ownership of the file and check it out.  Make the changes needed then check it back in.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 18 of 29
junibird

I've already tried that.  The problem is that I'm not being given the option to save to the file from within Inventor.  I only get the option for Favorites.  This is the part that I dont' understand.  If I click the update button under the manage tab I get options for all libraries but only Favorites when trying to save back to a library.

Message 19 of 29
mrattray

This implies that you don't have permission to make changes to the files. Try Scott's suggestion.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 20 of 29
ChrisMitchell01

A few suggestions to help diagnose where the problem is:

1. First go to the project editor for the project that you are currently working in & expand the Material library node. Hover over the library there that you are trying to write to & you will see the full path to an .adsklib file. You need write access to that folder & file. atthe OS level
  2. Open the part & then open the Material browser. In the lower section you will see your libraries listed. If you hover over those you will see the same path to the adsklib file. Do you see any icon next to the library ? Yellow icon or padlock ?
  3. If you're updating an existing material in that library, find it (using search) & take note of which category it's in. Does all look OK ? if so, drag your material from the Document materials down to that category. What happens ?
  4. If it's a new material that doesn't already exist, just drag it to where you want it in the library - any errors ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report