Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserted Hole Dimensions Not matching Feature Dimensions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Cadmanto
3167 Views, 8 Replies

Inserted Hole Dimensions Not matching Feature Dimensions

I typically as much as possible like to insert my dimensions into my drawing from my model.

I created holes in the model as a 1/4" tapped hole

THD.JPG

Yet when I show the dimensions in the drawing they show the minor dimension.

THD2.JPG

How do I get the 1/4" to show?  I have selected the feature and still get these results.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: Cadmanto

A 1/4 tapped hole is not 1/4".

Why aren't you dimensioning tapped holes with the Thread Note tool?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

From my machinist days I would drill a 1/4-20 tapped hole at .201 (#7 drill) will remember forever.

Beginner machinist mistake is to drill the hole 1/4" - oops, no material for the thread.

The thread OD is 1/4 - not the hole.  (and even the thread OD is not drawn to actual size of 1/4 as then the dashed line would be too close the solid line in the print drawing).  The thread (or the hole) is drawn a nominal size - not actual size.  Inventor does allow you to control this and does this part of simplified thread representation correclty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Notice that even the Tool Tip for Hole and Thread Notes dimensioning tool is absolutely wrong wrong wrong!

Drill a Ø45 hole for a M45 thread and there will be no material for the thread.

Tool Tip.png

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Cadmanto

Yes, I definately get that.  I agree.  I have worked at places that like calling out the dirrl size on the drawing, but sometimes that irritates the machinists because they feel like they should decide which drill and not the engineers.

I have also worked at places that just callout the tap size.

Currenyl I am at a place that wants to callout the tap size and not the hole size.  Which is why I wanted the 1/4"

and not the hole size of Ø.188  As  a side note I know that Ø.188 is not the minor for a 1/4" tap, but that is the dimension that shows up.  I can just create a dimension and call it a day, but in trying to continue to learn Inventor I would like to know how to accomplish this.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@Cadmanto wrote:

...the machinists because they feel like they should decide which drill and not the engineers.

In my past life we might have some special tolerance considerations and specify the drill size rather than specify class of fit so that the machinist did not have to look up the correct drill size (or our standard to get the class of fit we wanted might not even be the "standard").

But I would dimension with the Thread dimensioning tool so that it states 1/4-20 under any conditions and then add the special drill size if required.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
Cadmanto

I know, but I just need to callout a 1/4" tap callout and want it shown based on the model feature.

Is that possible?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 9
JDMather

Does the Hole/Thread Note dimension tool not give you the expected results?

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
Cadmanto

Yes, that worked.  Thank you.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report