Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert Constraint not recognising a hole feature

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
ProdigalS0n
1142 Views, 12 Replies

Insert Constraint not recognising a hole feature

I am currently assembling a woodwork vice, and looking to insert the bar handle with limits on the offsets. However the insert constraint does not recognise the hole in the threaded bar that drives the vice.

I have attached the assembly below as it is a bit difficult for me to explain - I have tried an axis to acis constraint which works well up until the point at which I introduce the offset limits. The offset works but along the incorrect axis - I wish for the offset and limits to be along the axis on which they are constrained.

I hope that this makes some sense to you - any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched the forums to make sure that there is not a thread to this effect elsewhere.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi ProdigalS0n,

You'll need to attach the *.ipt files also, in order for people to see the parts in your assembly. But it might adequate to attach just the part with the hole in it, as that might allow others to look at the geometry to see what's going on.

Otherwise you'll likely want to use the Pack and Go tool to collect all of the part files in the assembly:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-B25088E2-AF91-4774-A168-C141F6147AD8

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 13

Hi Curtis

Have attached the .ipt file below - I have included both parts that I am trying to constrain.

Message 4 of 13
graemev
in reply to: ProdigalS0n

The insert command needs a circle at the surface, not just a circular hole through the surface.  Holes through cylinders, spheres, and other non-planar or non-perpendicular faces will not work.  Instead, use an axis-axis mate and a tangent-plane mate to complete the assembly.

Message 5 of 13
ProdigalS0n
in reply to: graemev

HI Graemev

Thank you for your reply - I am relatively new to inventor so you may have to bear with me.

I have been able to position the parts (via constraints) where I would like them, the issues appear when I try to add limits to prevent the handle from exiting the threaded bar at either end of the hole.

When I do try to add limitited offsets the appears to be inteference between the axis to axis constraint and the tangent constraint. It seem the axis to axis constraint is still trying to offset on a different axis to the one that it is constrained (inserted) on, with the tangent constraint preventing this.

Message 6 of 13
rdyson

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 13
ProdigalS0n
in reply to: rdyson

Hi RDyson

I am unable to open this file as it says the databse schema for this file is newer than the version I am running which is Inventor Pro 2013 (Build 200, 2013 SP2)

would you be able to post it is a format that I could open?

Message 8 of 13
rdyson

No, I no longer have 2013 loaded.

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 13
JDMather

Most everything you have done could be done in a better way. 
Are you interested in learning the correct way?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 10 of 13
rdyson
in reply to: rdyson

I didn't inspect your files, but I suspect you'd be well served to take JD up on his offer. Here's one in 2012.

PDSU 2016
Message 11 of 13
ProdigalS0n
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather

I am self taught on Inventor so I am always happy on seeing how things could be done better!

Message 12 of 13
JDMather

@ProdigalS0n wrote:

Hi JDMather

I am self taught  

I recommend that you go through these

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

First, first , first step.  Examine your geometry intent with an eye for logical location of the Origin Center Point (as a beginner - always turn on the visibility).  Examine your geometry for symmetry.

Now you are ready to start sketching.

For this part I recommend placing the hole at the origin.  By doing this - you will already have an axis in the center of the hole.

Create this sketch and attach your file here.  (Notice that if you use Centerlinetype you can do diametrical dimensions.  I went ahead and used inch dimensions - it looks like you know how to go back and forth between inch and mm.  (units can be entered at any time))

Sketch1.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 13 of 13
ProdigalS0n
in reply to: JDMather

I have attached the file which should be laid as per your instructions below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report