Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole Tolerance does not change when I change it

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
karthur1
522 Views, 6 Replies

Hole Tolerance does not change when I change it

Trying to get the tolerance on a hole to be what I want.  I changed the tolerance on the hole, but my idw did not change.  When I went back and looked at the tolerance on the hole, it was back to the original value.  No matter what I do, it will not change to what I want it to be in the part.  Here is a short video.

The dimension I am changing is .9688 and it keeps jumping back to .9686 when I go back into the hole tolerance.

Tried other values too and they would not take either...

Entered Value     Inventor Value

.9688                      .9686

.9690                      .9686

.9693                      .9696

.9695                      .9696

Don't understand whats going on here.

Kirk A.

Windows 7 x64 -12 GB Ram
Intel i7-930 @ 3.60ghz
nVidia GTS 250 -1GB (Driver 301.42)
INV Pro R2013, SP1.1 (update1)
Vault Basic 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: karthur1

Is the IDW reading the tolerance from the Threads.xls spread sheet as well?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
swhite

I noticed in the video that your tolerance is set to 3 decimal places, while you are trying to enter a 4 decimal place value, but that should not matter at this step. You might check what your tolerance limits are set for in the styles editor, if it is set for +2, -1 then it will not allow any values over these limits from the original hole size, no matter what value you type into the tolerance boxes.

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 4 of 7
karthur1

Blair,

Not even working with the idw at this point. Right now, I'm just trying to get the model to display the tolerance that I want for the hole. If I can get that, then I am pretty sure the idw will report the correct information.

SWhite,

I noticed that about the precision in the tolerance dialog. I can change that to none or 5 places and it doesnt make any difference.  I dont even know what that is controlling.... definetly not the tolerance precision as I would think.  If I change what I enter for the hole size (as far as number of decimal places go) the tolerance will mimic the precision.  But, I still cant get the tolerance to hold after I make a change to it. Even at 5 or 6 places it still doesnt work. Another video

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 5 of 7
SBix26

Kirk,

If you change the number of decimal places in the Units tab of Document Settings, it will allow you to change the tolerance at that level.

I, too, am confused by the interaction of these controls-- doesn't make sense to my way of thinking.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 6 of 7
karthur1
in reply to: SBix26

Tools>Document settings, Units tab. that works.... thanks.

That never dawned on me.  Seems like the tolerance should be controlled in the tolerance dialog... not over there.

Message 7 of 7
blair

The tolerance is stored in: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\Design Accelerator\Tables\Holes\Ansi Unified Screw Threads.xml

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report