Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me make a thread

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
troadey
13776 Views, 10 Replies

Help me make a thread

I need to make an M5 0.8 thread on my part. I used the tread tool but it does not export the thread in an STL file.

the thread need to go on the small cylinder of the part. 

Link to the part: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2nj4sfr2xi9g5e/2013.coll.arbre.bobst.transport.01.ipt

I am pretty sure I need to carve into the part with the coil tool but I can't select a profile in the tool...

Attempt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgv0zhxzdv89clk/2013.coll.arbre.bobst.transport.01.ipt

I will 3d print this part once done.

Thank you very much

Troadey Inc. - Largest desktop 3D printer distributor in Canada

www.Troadey.com
info@troadey.com
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: troadey

You need to add a 60° triangle sketch to cut with the Coil command to create the thread (just like the real world).

I did not see a sketch for the cutting tool in your file.

Also, since 3D printing isn't very precise - I create one cut and then shift a second cut a bit to allow extra clearance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
troadey
in reply to: JDMather

Yes I tried that in my second file. I just can't make the coil because I can't select a profile. The tool won't let me go further... That's my problem.

I attached it again here.

www.Troadey.com
info@troadey.com
Message 4 of 11
cwhetten

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Like JD said, make a 60 degree triangle for your coil profile.  Basically, make a sketch that follows the rules for a metric thread profile:

Edit:  I think you might be getting confused about the thread tool in Inventor.  The thread tool that you have used in your part only creates a "cosmetic" thread.  It essentially wraps an image file that sort of looks like screw threads around a cylindrical or conical face.  It also stores thread information that can be easily retrieved in a drawing note.  It doesn't create actual thread geometry, which is good in the majority of scenarios.  However, since you are trying to get something to a 3D printer, you need actual thread geometry.  Therefore, instead of using the thread tool, you have to use the coil tool.  The coil tool requires a 2D sketch so Inventor knows what material to remove as it sweeps the 2D sketch around in a coiled path.

You should set up your sketch and coil feature something like this:

Thread Profile.png

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 5 of 11
pball

You can try using the thread modeler addon to create a thread in the model.

http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Detail/Index?id=autodesk.appstore.exchange.autodesk.com...
Message 6 of 11
troadey
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks that it great but I already did that. You can see it in my file. My problem is that the tool coil won't let me select a profile. I created myself an axe but I can't select anything as a profile.

I attached it again

www.Troadey.com
info@troadey.com
Message 7 of 11
mcgyvr

Funny how the other guys can't read (well just missed it I'm sure.. I think they both can read) and just downloaded your attached file instead of seeing that the one you attempted to use the coil command on was in your dropbox link..

But to answer you there must be a "closed profile" then you can use the coil command.. You just have some open "V" which is not a closed profile..

Try again now knowing that... and let us know if you have problems..

Also FYI the thread modeler app posted above does not create "proper/standardized" threads either.. (I've never tried it but seen posts that its not proper threads so don't use it)

Model your own just as a real thread is made and voila.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 11
karthur1

Here is your part using the coil feature.  You need to edit the sketch and dimenion the shape of the cut.... I did not do that.

Kirk

Message 9 of 11
cwhetten

Edit--Nevermind.  I see that I was looking at the wrong file.  mcgyvr has your solution.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 10 of 11
adam.nagy
in reply to: pball

FYI for people looking for the Thread Modeler AddIn. Its URL changed. Now it's http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/de/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3Athread...

Adam Nagy
Autodesk Platform Services
Message 11 of 11
LT.Rusty
in reply to: adam.nagy

@adam.nagy wrote:

FYI for people looking for the Thread Modeler AddIn. Its URL changed. Now it's http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/de/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3Athread...

Since you mentioned the download link, what's the deal with Thread Modeler these days - is it an Autodesk product or a CoolOrange product now? 

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report