Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excludes button is inactive while derive IAM with solid weldments

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Maxim-CADman77
667 Views, 4 Replies

Excludes button is inactive while derive IAM with solid weldments

“Excludes the selected components” button is grayed out while derive IAM with solid weldments (everything is ok if weldments are cosmetic).

Steps to Reproduce (files from standard Samples are used):

1.a. Open “C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Samples\Models\Weldments\Cosmetic\weld - cosmetic.iam

1.b. Expand Representations node in model tree.

1.c. Context menu of LOD -> New Substitute -> Derive Assembly

1.d. Witness “Excludes the selected components” button is available in “Derive Assembly” window.

2.a. “C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Samples\Models\Weldments\Cosmetic\weld1 - solid fillet.iam

2.b. = 1.b.

2.c. = 1.c.

2.d. Witness GRAY OUT “Excludes the selected components” button in “Derive Assembly” window.

Software Autodesk Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3.

Can't find any mention regarding this in the help, thus, consider it a software defect. Autodesk, please fix it!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Hmm. How about subtracting them (Red minus icon besides the gray one)?

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: WHolzwarth

All the rest four options button (including "Substracts") are available, but what relation it have to the subject?
(I don't have intention to substruct any components - I just want to ommit some). If "Substracts" and "Excludes" buttons have similar effect they woudn't be both present, right?

Message 4 of 5

Hi! I suspect the second derive assembly has "Associative to Design View" option on. Please edit the Derive Assembly -> Representation tab -> uncheck the box on the upper right. Then it should allow you to exlude components.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 5

Dear Johnson Shiue

Lets read what is in the help regarding this button - http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-506AA191-94F4-4F42-83EB-B02B13CEA1B1

"Excludes the selected component from the derived part. Components marked with this symbol are ignored when the derived part is updated in an assembly (changes to this geometry are not incorporated into the derived part).

Suppressed components are shown as Excluded, and cannot be changed. Dependent components of a suppressed component are not listed. "

I'd rather say there is some or gap of usability (or gap in help) which leads to misunderstanding. IMHO:

- either the Design View Rep associativity option should be doubled near the set of "(Component) Status" buttons.

- or some note regarding this option should be present just within description of "Excludes" button.

Do you agree with me?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report